Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

WWW.BBC.CO.UK

People have "every right to be angry", Sir Keir Starmer says, as review criticises state of the health service in England.

"""In a speech, the prime minister will respond to the report by promising “the biggest reimagining of the NHS” since it was formed, with a new 10-year plan for the health service to be published in the coming months.

He will propose three key areas of reform: the transition to a digital NHS, moving more care from hospitals to communities, and focusing efforts on prevention over sickness. """

The third proposal is very sensible and much needed.

The second proposal might be sensible, but I don't think GPs would currently agree.

The first proposal I'm not convinced on; could be a recipe for mega expensive fckups, based on previous experience with government IT systems.

• Like 1

Context MesterH... assuming you arn't continuing 'where were we September 11' theme with SpaceX and aircraft flying into buildings and stuff (unless I missed some news), or a conspiracy type theory that Elon Musk had something to do with that.. but that 'making the news today' is they have had a billionaire doing a private space walk today?

5 hours ago, sime42 said:
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

People have "every right to be angry", Sir Keir Starmer says, as review criticises state of the health service in England.

"""In a speech, the prime minister will respond to the report by promising “the biggest reimagining of the NHS” since it was formed, with a new 10-year plan for the health service to be published in the coming months.

He will propose three key areas of reform: the transition to a digital NHS, moving more care from hospitals to communities, and focusing efforts on prevention over sickness. """

The third proposal is very sensible and much needed.

The second proposal might be sensible, but I don't think GPs would currently agree.

The first proposal I'm not convinced on; could be a recipe for mega expensive fckups, based on previous experience with government IT systems.

The only one thing for sure is the whole thing will be a cock up 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Steve Bullman said:

The only one thing for sure is the whole thing will be a cock up 

Why? How can focusing on prevention rather than treatment of ill health be a cock up? We need a lot more effort on the public health front, amongst other measures. Things are going to get a hell of a lot worse if nothing is done. We are as a whole a very sick nation already. I'm astounded and saddened by the number of obese 5 - 10 year olds I see in the pool when I take my son to swimming lessons. You know where they're going to end up in 20 years time.

• Like 1

I saw one of them 20 years later, earlier today, taking my eldest to her swimming lesson and diving practice for my youngest. Big rolls all the way down his knees there were, and he looked miserable as fnck just being there in the changing room.

Fair play to him for being there though, he's got a long road ahead of him but hopefully he'll stick with it.

50 minutes ago, sime42 said:

Why? How can focusing on prevention rather than treatment of ill health be a cock up? We need a lot more effort on the public health front, amongst other measures. Things are going to get a hell of a lot worse if nothing is done. We are as a whole a very sick nation already. I'm astounded and saddened by the number of obese 5 - 10 year olds I see in the pool when I take my son to swimming lessons. You know where they're going to end up in 20 years time.

The cock up usually comes with how it's implemented and ably assisted by the laws of unintended consequences!