Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

1 hour ago, Steve Bullman said:

Some might prefer to call this brainwashing?

APPLE.NEWS

Pupils will be taught to spot conspiracy theories in curriculum revamp after disorder spread across...

Others might call it counter-brainwashing.

If it's teaching kids to think critically and question sources of info and data then it can only be good surely. We'd have to be living in a properly fcked up state for the state to use it as a means of pushing an agenda. The idea is the antithesis of that. That's North Korea territory, no other country can even get close to achieving it.

There's nothing wrong with advising against trusting screen shots, and stories without evidence, opinion passed off as fact etc etc. That's how mis/disinformation and Conspiracy Theories are hatched and incubated after all.

There's a grown up or two who'd do well to stop relying on screen shots from LinkedIn and X for instance. We're seeing plenty of radicalisation of middle to late aged men.

• Like 2

I swear, as the son of two teachers, the spouse of another, and the friend of many more... I have no frigging clue what some of you guys think goes on in schools.

When we lived in France and my wife taught history (at an international school in Geneva), a whole module was spent identifying sources, judging bias, questioning the motivation of whoever produced the material. This is the opposite of brainwashing. I did exactly the same thing in my history classes, last century. 

But of course... being the son of two teachers... I'm obviously blind to it all... because I'm double brainwashed!

Edited by peds

1 hour ago, peds said:

You, in particular, haven't a single Christ-like bone in your body. That you claim to have let any of the teachings of Jesus have any influence on your life is laughable. 

You know it yourself, too. 

How wrong you are, you base your opinion on what is on this Forum nothing more, you are entitled to it, something a few on here can’t cope with when others express themselves . You have never spent a single second in my company or observed what I do or how I conduct myself towards other people or seen the ethnic or religious make up of the work colleagues and friends I have, yet here you are throwing an opinion out as if it’s fact. Peds I  know who I am and how I live my life. I stand by my statement, having worked extensively in several Islamic countries I can assure you we in the west of Christian faith are a very tolerant and welcoming society. You do realise there is a real world outside of the internet where real people with real names actually get on with doing real things, thats when you can make real judgments about people . 

Edited by Johnsond
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Mesterh said:

Its teaching kids how to fact check. I think that you will find that there is still plenty of misinformation out there that hasnt been shut down.

As I said 

Concentrate on the basics and take the devices out of schools and don’t let politics in . The Scottish results in particular are dire, it’s easy to see the new mantra developing in front of us, misinformation can work both ways as we have seen. Im sure you will disagree, personally I’d rather my kids develop the ability to fact check themselves than it be dictated to them by whichever administration is deciding what’s factual and what isn’t. 

WWW.LINKEDIN.COM

“Mr. Bean” on free speech in the UK ... "The most precious thing in life is food in your...

Edited by Johnsond

6 hours ago, Johnsond said:

. You have never spent a single second in my company or observed what I do or how I conduct myself towards other people or seen the ethnic or religious make up of the work colleagues and friends I have,

You are bleating about it non-stop from your pulpit on here, we all know exactly who you are, and brother, it just ain't Christian. Feel free to share a few examples of Christian behaviour you've participated in though, if it means that much to you that we all think of you as a kind, caring, Christian. 

You could print a load of business cards claiming to be a brain surgeon if you wanted, but just telling everyone that you are one doesn't make it a reality... and it wouldn't even be true if you showed up to weekly conventions to loudly decry how much you enjoy being a brain surgeon (and how much better you are than other non- brain surgeons... wait, is this still a metaphor?). It takes years of dedication and molding your whole life around the decision to become one.

You can't just declare to be something and expect everyone to agree without questioning it. But... to your absolute credit, you are in good company... the overwhelming majority of self-proclaimed Christians the world over are not in the slightest bit Christ-like in their behaviour.

Keep in mind, too, that Jesus wouldn't be hanging out with you in today's world: he'd be out here in the drum circle with us smelly hippies, making sure everyone had enough to eat, helping everyone to get along. But I've read the Bible cover-to-cover a number of times over my life (I'll not be doing it again, that thing is f*cking boring), and I think Jesus would agree with the suggestion that you, and almost every modern-day Christian, are, in fact, among the Pharisees. 

Be Christ-like through deeds, not through declaration. Otherwise you'll be shitting through the eye of that needle again like that rich bloke on his camel. 

1 hour ago, peds said:

You are bleating about it non-stop from your pulpit on here, we all know exactly who you are, and brother, it just ain't Christian. Feel free to share a few examples of Christian behaviour you've participated in though, if it means that much to you that we all think of you as a kind, caring, Christian. 

You could print a load of business cards claiming to be a brain surgeon if you wanted, but just telling everyone that you are one doesn't make it a reality... and it wouldn't even be true if you showed up to weekly conventions to loudly decry how much you enjoy being a brain surgeon (and how much better you are than other non- brain surgeons... wait, is this still a metaphor?). It takes years of dedication and molding your whole life around the decision to become one.

You can't just declare to be something and expect everyone to agree without questioning it. But... to your absolute credit, you are in good company... the overwhelming majority of self-proclaimed Christians the world over are not in the slightest bit Christ-like in their behaviour.

Keep in mind, too, that Jesus wouldn't be hanging out with you in today's world: he'd be out here in the drum circle with us smelly hippies, making sure everyone had enough to eat, helping everyone to get along. But I've read the Bible cover-to-cover a number of times over my life (I'll not be doing it again, that thing is f*cking boring), and I think Jesus would agree with the suggestion that you, and almost every modern-day Christian, are, in fact, among the Pharisees. 

Be Christ-like through deeds, not through declaration. Otherwise you'll be shitting through the eye of that needle again like that rich bloke on his camel. 

😂😂😂 at least I gave you something to wake up for Peds. That’s a lot of words that add up yo very little it seems. What you or anyone else thinks of me on here means absolutely zero to me, there are a few I’ve met and dealt with personally and they are free to make a judgement 🤷‍♂️that’s life. And yes deeds and actions are what count very much so which is exactly my point. Anyway you go and torture some rats for fun I’ve got a prior engagement with someone much more important than you. 

Deeds & Actions. Exactly that!

Looking out for your fellow man, helping the neighbours, fetching in some milk for old Mrs Higson down the road, letting cars pull out from junctions into a line of traffic, a bit of charity work, conservation work, building a better world. Sharing that plate of biscuits!

Standing up to oppression.

And yet, when we do these things we're shouted down by morons: denounced as lefty libtards.

People seem to be afraid of 'Starmer' as if they think he is going to make being a nice person compulsory: I don't get it! After years and years of the thieving tories openly stealing from the country pissing all over anyone who isn't a millionaire and openly laughing about it because there was no-one one about to stop them; suddenly, within in a day of their being chucked out, Starmer's the bad guy for wanting to building a better world for everyone.

No-one has to worry; it is unlikely that enforced decency would ever become a thing: there's just too many morons about to make it happen and, besides, the Daily Mail just wouldn't stand for it.

If you offer anyone a helping hand rather than stamping on their face, then that makes you a lefty: there's no shame in that; stop the name calling, don't be so defensive, get some counselling; you needn't keep it a secret anymore. Just do it; deeds and actions are what are needed to build a better world.

Say it loud: I'm Left & I'm Proud!

Peace & Love

Yourn.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2