Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

The riots have been a depressing reaffirmation that the extreme right wing is alive and well in the UK.

In recent years (and particularly since Brexit), there has been a certain smugness amongst right leaning polical commentators that the rest of Europe is drifting right but here in the UK, we remain centrist and sensible. 

I am not sure that that particular narrative sticks anymore.

The whole timeline of events is tragic from start to finish. Starting with the truly evil attack in Southport, and the brutal murder of those three little girls. I have two daughters myself, and for any parent, such a crime is the stuff of nightmares.

What folowed though, with Farage and his ilk provoking racist extremism through mob mentality is unforgivable. I listened to an interview with him on LBC (amongst several hours of other commentary and analysis) and his rhetoric is one that is deliberately designed to inflame. He shrouds it in the defense of "I'm just asking the questions", but he doesn't ask the questions of the people that could provide him with an answer. He is a serving member of Parliament now, and has a platform from which he could legitimately ask sensible questions of the right people. Instead, he chooses to go onto X/Twitter/Social media and insinuate and suggest, and whether he accepts it or not, is a major factor in the instigation of these riots.

And the reprobates involved in the riots are, for want of no other word, scum. They seem to be out there just to have a fight, loot and vandalise stuff. They are opportunistically using the savage murder of three little girls to exercise their violent fantasies and inflict terror on minority communities, as well as (let's be honest) attempt murder (the burning of the hotel housing asylum seekers). 

I'm pleased to see that the first of the rioters have been convicted and sentenced. I do not want to see the UK return the overtly racist society of 50 years ago, but I'm disappointed that that sentiment still exists.

Can we not make good on our investment in Rwanda and send the rioters there? 🤪

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

44 minutes ago, Stere said:

Lefty woke  do gooders, playing at making a difference as an excuse for a jolly.

Does the same  apply to mountain rescue and the RNLI or only the oversea ones?

Gosh, I hope not! As I'm up the hill and my wife is in the drink... 

16 minutes ago, Big J said:

The riots have been a depressing reaffirmation that the extreme right wing is alive and well in the UK.

In recent years (and particularly since Brexit), there has been a certain smugness amongst right leaning polical commentators that the rest of Europe is drifting right but here in the UK, we remain centrist and sensible. 

I am not sure that that particular narrative sticks anymore.

The whole timeline of events is tragic from start to finish. Starting with the truly evil attack in Southport, and the brutal murder of those three little girls. I have two daughters myself, and for any parent, such a crime is the stuff of nightmares.

What folowed though, with Farage and his ilk provoking racist extremism through mob mentality is unforgivable. I listened to an interview with him on LBC (amongst several hours of other commentary and analysis) and his rhetoric is one that is deliberately designed to inflame. He shrouds it in the defense of "I'm just asking the questions", but he doesn't ask the questions of the people that could provide him with an answer. He is a serving member of Parliament now, and has a platform from which he could legitimately ask sensible questions of the right people. Instead, he chooses to go onto X/Twitter/Social media and insinuate and suggest, and whether he accepts it or not, is a major factor in the instigation of these riots.

And the reprobates involved in the riots are, for want of no other word, scum. They seem to be out there just to have a fight, loot and vandalise stuff. They are opportunistically using the savage murder of three little girls to exercise their violent fantasies and inflict terror on minority communities, as well as (let's be honest) attempt murder (the burning of the hotel housing asylum seekers). 

I'm pleased to see that the first of the rioters have been convicted and sentenced. I do not want to see the UK return the overtly racist society of 50 years ago, but I'm disappointed that that sentiment still exists.

Can we not make good on our investment in Rwanda and send the rioters there? 🤪

You have to be called out regarding that post - spouting absolute lies. Farage has NOT provoked this; that old claptrap broken record should have run out of gas by now. Don't fall for it. Agree re scumbags - wtf those numbsculls think they're going to achieve is beyond me! 

Edited by Whoppa Choppa

1 hour ago, Whoppa Choppa said:

You have to be called out regarding that post - spouting absolute lies. Farage has NOT provoked this; that old claptrap broken record should have run out of gas by now. Don't fall for it. Agree re scumbags - wtf those numbsculls think they're going to achieve is beyond me! 

Farage has a massive following in the UK and when he quotes that well adjusted 'influencer'.. err rapist (allegedly) Andrew Tate that the murderer in Southport was a Muslim (incorrectly), named him (incorrectly), a recent arrival in the UK (incorrectly) and an asylum seeker (incorrect too) you have to wonder how much of his words were taken as truth - especially coming from an MP (allegedly.... turned up in Parliament... once). I will lay part of the blame for inflaming things at his door, likewise to Twitter, and the press who are advertising ahead of time "riots are expected to occur here, here and here".. so we all know where to go throw bricks at the police. The press are not the ones inflaming things for months before now... that was Farage...

Edit here:

Just catching the afternoon news:

From the Telegraph:

Tory leadership contender accuses Farage of ‘fuelling conspiracy theories’

Edited by Steven P
  • Like 1