Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

2 hours ago, trigger_andy said:

Same as it’s ever been in that regard. Folk have been flogging knicked goods down the pub since forever.

I’m thinking we’ll see a huge increase in fuel theft. From vehicles, heating oil tanks to even firewood. These things are knicked anyway, but I see a substantial increase.

Is that because we are being taxed to death by a party of low tax? Don't give me pandemic to try to justify it.

1 hour ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

You not think it’d be a fairly shrewd business (not to mention morally commendable) move?

Writing as an acknowledged poor business man I might but the CEO of a public company only has a duty to maximise shareholders' profits, morality is not in his remit.

If 1 of the big energy companies said, right, we’ll take the hit and reduce retail prices to £Xx (even if that were a loss leader), the masses would flock to change supplier - thus capturing market share and presenting the. corporate image as being the ‘good guy?’

Well given the signals the primary energy producers have been given that has resulted them cutting down on exploration investment they might be looking at the market and thinking  the consumer has been able to pay much higher prices, even with a big chunk going in tax, and the margin is higher on the smaller volume bought by those that can afford it, our profits have gone up, so make hay...

Edited by openspaceman
typo

57 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Plenty of energy suppliers went to the wall end of last year.

Yes but here they were mostly resellers without reserves to hedge against rapidly rising prices.

57 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

I just found Kevin’s post unusually naive.

He did suggest just so.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

How long ago was that trig, asking for a friend.

Not that long ago in the grand scheme of things. Coffers need refilling. The Tories have blown monumental amounts of money on Covid but whatever they blew it was never enough for the SNP, Labour or the Lib Dumbs.

So considering the above letter in times that did not include Covid or Brexit and the opposition screaming hysterically for more restrictions (which cost eye wateringly) and more funds for Covid I think it’s fairly safe to say we’re better with the devil we know and we’d be taxed far more under another party. You know, like the SNP are doing up in Scotland. 

I wish I paid the tax you guys do down in Englandshire.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

Not that long ago in the grand scheme of things. Coffers need refilling. The Tories have blown monumental amounts of money on Covid but whatever they blew it was never enough for the SNP, Labour or the Lib Dumbs.

So considering the above letter in times that did not include Covid or Brexit and the opposition screaming hysterically for more restrictions (which cost eye wateringly) and more funds for Covid I think it’s fairly safe to say we’re better with the devil we know and we’d be taxed far more under another party. You know, like the SNP are doing up in Scotland. 

I wish I paid the tax you guys do down in Englandshire.

It was 12 years ago, probably more than a quarter more than your lifetime, beating up the working class isn't the way to fill the coffers, although you think it is. Beat them who've got the cash... but you don't like that, do you?

5 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

It was 12 years ago, probably more than a quarter more than your lifetime, beating up the working class isn't the way to fill the coffers, although you think it is. Beat them who've got the cash... but you don't like that, do you?

See? I knew you knew. ;)

Nothing to do with beating up the working class, which since I work I’m apart of. I wholeheartedly agree with not beating them up considering it’s me getting hammered here in Scotland. But then we’ve come full circle back to the lazy and the feckless. Buying their votes is expensive, but since they make up an increasing majority all the parties need to now do so. The SNP are a case in point.

So, back to Labours parting letter, to have spunked all the cash to whom where they hammering and where did the money go?

Im in favour of a far fairer society where people are held accountable for their actions but also their inactions. The amount of lazy and feckless in the UK is unsustainable and it’s the working to middle class who have to fund their lifestyles. I say fark that. We need to end buying votes with more and more freebies for the workshy and scum of the UK. The tails wagging the dog. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1