Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

1 minute ago, Big J said:

A machine isn't accrued wealth though. It's just a tool. It's depreciated since I've bought it (a bit) but the addition of an export tax means that if I want to sell it abroad, I suddenly have to fork out an additional £20k. That is patently daft.

It is an asset though. If you sell it you'll have the money in a bank account you own. You're choosing to see a significant difference because taxing a £600k homeowner even more does not and will not likely ever affect you, but paying an export tax does. It smacks of hypocrisy you see all the time with Pinko Commies. 

7 minutes ago, Big J said:

Also, there isn't a £600k house in the UK that is actually worth £600k.

Thats just your own opinion though and clearly not one shared with someone who is forking out that much. A 1969 Dodge Charger in good condition is now worth about £40,000 minimum. Is it worth that? The construction cost was obviously no where near that. So what makes it worth £40k. Supply and demand of course. 

10 minutes ago, Big J said:

It's difficult for you to appreciate (I feel) because you have a substantial house in a relatively inexpensive part of the UK. The affordability (especially considering your line of work) is good. It isn't so peachy for the rest of us though. Down here, property prices are at least 50% higher, but the salaries are infact amongst the worst in the country.

I have a 3 bedroom house. :D I also owned in Stavanger, which is an oil town and had a postage stamp size plot of land. So Ive owned accross the spectrum. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, trigger_andy said:

It is an asset though. If you sell it you'll have the money in a bank account you own. You're choosing to see a significant difference because taxing a £600k homeowner even more does not and will not likely ever affect you, but paying an export tax does. It smacks of hypocrisy you see all the time with Pinko Commies. 

Thats just your own opinion though and clearly not one shared with someone who is forking out that much. A 1969 Dodge Charger in good condition is now worth about £40,000 minimum. Is it worth that? The construction cost was obviously no where near that. So what makes it worth £40k. Supply and demand of course. 

I have a 3 bedroom house. :D I also owned in Stavanger, which is an oil town and had a postage stamp size plot of land. So Ive owned accross the spectrum. 

Yes, but when I sell the forwarder I will also have to pay tax on that sum. So to be charged an export duty and pay tax on the total amount is double taxation. If I get £95k for it, I'd pay £46,500 in tax (duty plus corporation plus dividend tax). That's Scandi plus levels of taxation 🤣

A classic car like a Dodge Charger cannot be built today for £40k. The originality and the scarcity is what causes it to accrue value. It's also not a necessity. A house is, and the houses that appreciate inexplicably in today's market cannot be held up as examples of unique or remarkable design (like a Dodge Charger).

• Like 1

So the green list has been expanded to include Norway, Austria and Germany, all of which have higher case rates than Sweden, which remains on the amber list.

It seems very political. Not relaxing the restrictions on the only country that didn't really do restrictions seems pathetically punitive at this stage. Sweden fulfils all the criteria to be moved onto the green list.

Obviously I have a vested interest, but it still smacks of politics, rather than science.

4 minutes ago, Big J said:

So the green list has been expanded to include Norway, Austria and Germany, all of which have higher case rates than Sweden, which remains on the amber list.

It seems very political. Not relaxing the restrictions on the only country that didn't really do restrictions seems pathetically punitive at this stage. Sweden fulfils all the criteria to be moved onto the green list.

Obviously I have a vested interest, but it still smacks of politics, rather than science.

Good news for me I guess? 

But it’s been nothing but political from the outset. 

Fly to Oslo and drive over. 😁

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

Good news for me I guess? 

But it’s been nothing but political from the outset. 

Fly to Oslo and drive over. 😁

Yeah, I thought you'd like that. 

It just gets my goat when the government tries to make a big thing about restrictions being driven by the data, when clearly they're not. It's contingent on where they want to go on holiday to and who they want to do trade with.

Yeah, I thought you'd like that. 

It just gets my goat when the government tries to make a big thing about restrictions being driven by the data, when clearly they're not. It's contingent on where they want to go on holiday to and who they want to do trade with.

To be honest it hardly makes a difference to me. Maybe save one home Covid test but I think in Scotland Norway is already self-isolation free.

Surely you see that the EU have been playing the same game? They have blood on their hands weaponising the AZ vaccine for purely political reasons. They’re all playing games at our expense but I feel the U.K. is just responding in kind to the EUs schemes.

9 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

To be honest it hardly makes a difference to me. Maybe save one home Covid test but I think in Scotland Norway is already self-isolation free.

Surely you see that the EU have been playing the same game? They have blood on their hands weaponising the AZ vaccine for purely political reasons. They’re all playing games at our expense but I feel the U.K. is just responding in kind to the EUs schemes.

The EU didn't start their vaccine rollout as well as they could have, I'll certainly agree, but most of the barriers have been put in place by the UK. Not signing up to the EU vaccine passport being one.