Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

Wouldn't it just be great if people like you ran this country. All our problems would be solved.

My way of dealing with problems might be a little bit more effective than candlelight vigils after terrorist attacks.

Do you think IS look at the bunches of flowers after a terrorist attack and think "wow! Those infidels really put on an impressive flower display! Best cancel the next terrorist attack"?

Edited by matelot

I'd argue that development happens after a society becomes less religious.... Having members of a society praying etc means less time for more productive pursuits...

Muslims read the Koran and are told that they are God's chosen people. When they look at the world they see that Muslim nations are poor, so many of them believe that the West is in league with Satan. If you think they want to become developed like the West you are mistaken. For them Muhammed was the perfect man and had the perfect lifestyle. That's why the Taliban etc banned radios and other western technology.

Muslims believe that the Koran is the literal word of God. It's quite clear in the Koran that it's the duty of Muslims to attack non believers. The Koran also has passages that makes it clear anyone that tries to change the Koran should be resisted.

Quite frankly any Muslim that tries to make the Koran less violent will be killed.

Tbh, I don't see any easy way forward....

There may be some hope in the fact that Christianity has more or less managed to transform itself from a cult of human sacrifice into a largely benign curiosity, but on the whole I agree with you- Islam is a whole other (boiling) kettle of fish. It is very difficult to see a solution.

There may be some hope in the fact that Christianity has more or less managed to transform itself from a cult of human sacrifice into a largely benign curiosity, but on the whole I agree with you- Islam is a whole other (boiling) kettle of fish. It is very difficult to see a solution.

I think the problem westerners have is that we think everyone thinks like us. We think "we'll let those poor refugees into Europe and they'll be so grateful that they settle in and integrate".

However they actually think "Thanks to Allah we have been let into Europe. He wishes us to spread the Islamic caliphate into the crusader lands".

This isn't going to end well. This is going to lead to a civil war.

Everyone keeps saying we reap what we sow and it's revenge for Iraq Afghan etc. It's utter bollocks 9/11 happened before 2003 Iraq invasion, the British army was invited into Afghan by karzai.

Sweden hasn't been bombing the **** out of muslims so why are they in the thick of terror attacks, France hasn't played a big part in the Middle East nor Belgium or Germany yet here we are all with the same problems ...

I'm not sure what the solutions are but 1 thing I am sick of hearing about is we brought it on ourselves, NO WE DIDNT!

If people want to come here for a better life and to work and integrate I'm all for it just not at the expense of being blown up.

Can we assume you are talking about yourself there?

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Yeah, nice argument Richard.

That's really made me sit back and reconsider my arguments and thought process.

I think the place you have in this discussion is to emphasise to people how poor the arguments on your side of the discussion are....