Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

I just find it a bit bizarre that this one fire has had millions spent on it, a media frenzy, a charity song, numerous charity pages to give money, when all other house fires are left for the insurance companies to sort out? I don't remember a visit from downing street when buncefield went up and people were moved out for years and had to fight for compensation?

I'm not taking away from these people at all and think they need and deserve help to get though these times but the inconsistency of it all bothers me. There's plenty of families on hard times up and down the country living in b & b's waiting for permanent housing, wheres their million pound apartments?

Yeah, I bet there have been a lot of house fires in the last week and it's only the Grenfel residents that get this media circus.

There should be some national debate to decide if it's right that council tenants get houses that most of us here could never afford. To beat my favourite immigration drum again it seems crazy that we give migrants luxury houses that even very well paid British taxpayers cant afford.

Two weeks ago me and my brother were clearing up the playground of a council run nursery for free as the council don't have the budget. Then this council has a spare £100m?

I just find it a bit bizarre that this one fire has had millions spent on it, a media frenzy, a charity song, numerous charity pages to give money, when all other house fires are left for the insurance companies to sort out? I don't remember a visit from downing street when buncefield went up and people were moved out for years and had to fight for compensation?

I'm not taking away from these people at all and think they need and deserve help to get though these times but the inconsistency of it all bothers me. There's plenty of families on hard times up and down the country living in b & b's waiting for permanent housing, wheres their million pound apartments?

It's a fair question Dan. I think it's the scale / number of people affected and, importantly, the potential for misconduct / neglect / incompetence/ corruption that sets this event apart from a "normal" house fire.

There might also be some media misdirection too - a % of the apartments in that block are "social housing" just like any other development.

I had to laugh at the questions on LBC though - will the ex Grenfell tenants be allowed access to the basement cinema and 24hr concierge service? Yes, I should imagine so, if they can afford the subscription fees!

I agree in every thing he says but to turn and drag greenfell in to a political argument that things would of been any different if Corbyn had won is mental illness.

Yet when someone like me, that's a bit thick, and can't articulate it very well says it, they're some sort of Idiot.

I can't remember anyone saying this dreadful disaster would have been any better if Corbyn won.

I think mental illness is when people want to believe The bits what they like, but ignore the bits they don't like.

A bit like matelot's £100 million found by RBofKC Council. If he'd dig a bit deeper he would find that the owners of those flats have sold them at 'cost price' to the City of London Corporation for £10 million.

But, let's not bother with facts.

I really do despair at times.

Edited by eggsarascal

I think mental illness is when people want to believe The bits what they like, but ignore the bits they don't like.

A bit like matelot's £100 million found by RBofKC Council. If he'd dig a bit deeper he would find that the owners of those flats have sold them at 'cost price' to the City of London Corporation for £10 million.

But, let's not bother with facts.

I really do despair at times.

So the flats would retail for a total of £100m but the council get them at cost for £10m? Do you really think the profit margin in selling flats is 90%?

We've had a decade of austerity but London council tenants are getting flats worth over £1m....

So the flats would retail for a total of £100m but the council get them at cost for £10m? Do you really think the profit margin in selling flats is 90%?

We've had a decade of austerity but London council tenants are getting flats worth over £1m....

I'll find you some more sources for this information if you can't be bothered to look for yourself.

Grenfell Tower fire: Flats in £2bn luxury Kensington block to be given to families | London Evening Standard

Do you know how London works?

By the way, what sort of society have we become when flats are on the market for £13 million.

How much do you need to earn to buy one of those?

Edited by eggsarascal