Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

18 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

Post Covid and in the midst of the Ukraine War there is rampant global inflation and a supposed energy crisis, an energy crisis that the EU will and is feeling far worse than the U.K. and you’re adamant the effects we’re all facing is because of your desire to remain in the EU?

There wasn't a post Brexit, pre covid period. They overlapped. There was a post Brexit vote, pre covid period. Maybe I'm just being pedantic.

On the topic of reasonable sources of information as regards the benefits and detriments of Brexit, I would think that the least impartial source of all would be the government that campaigned on the promise of Brexit being a good thing for the UK. Their entire mandate is reliant on them making a success of it. 

I would be looking at the various independent sources that have studied the effects of Brexit, which seem to be (in a great majority) negative.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Big J said:

There wasn't a post Brexit, pre covid period. They overlapped. There was a post Brexit vote, pre covid period. Maybe I'm just being pedantic.

Between the period of Article 50 being signed and the outbreak of Covid Germanys economy was in a far worse shape than the UK’s. As you well know because we’ve discussed this previously. This was also the period where the doom mongers had the exact opposite predicted. So yes, you’re being pedantic. 

3 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

Between the period of Article 50 being signed and the outbreak of Covid Germanys economy was in a far worse shape than the UK’s. As you well know because we’ve discussed this previously. This was also the period where the doom mongers had the exact opposite predicted. So yes, you’re being pedantic. 

OK, that as the case may be.....

The UKs economy is being widely reported as performing worst of any developed nation in the world. All other countries are dealing with the ramifications of covid and Ukraine, but only the UK has Brexit too.

Correlation isn't necessarily causation but perhaps in this case it is? 

The difficulty is that you are shielded from the economic effects of Brexit because your income is principally drawn from overseas work. For most people in the UK, this isn't the case. 

Now, as an outsider looking in, all I see is the systematic and systemic removal of benefits and support that was once taken for granted, whilst the tax burden shoots up. Some people will scarcely notice (you being one, I guess) but most will. 

Out of interest why does no one go after Norway and Switzerland for not being in the EU? They are aligned but not full members, neither are on the EU flag or currency. They are both prosperous countries doing rather well for themselves. Why is emulating them not seen as a viable option for the U.K.?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Big J said:

OK, that as the case may be.....

The UKs economy is being widely reported as performing worst of any developed nation in the world. All other countries are dealing with the ramifications of covid and Ukraine, but only the UK has Brexit too.

Correlation isn't necessarily causation but perhaps in this case it is? 

The difficulty is that you are shielded from the economic effects of Brexit because your income is principally drawn from overseas work. For most people in the UK, this isn't the case. 

Now, as an outsider looking in, all I see is the systematic and systemic removal of benefits and support that was once taken for granted, whilst the tax burden shoots up. Some people will scarcely notice (you being one, I guess) but most will. 

I don’t work in an EU country though. And I’m  not shielded from HMRC either. 

Inflation in Norway is over 10% yet I only received a 4.2% pay increase. In effect a 6% pay cut and an even higher tax burden in the U.K. 

2 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

I don’t work in an EU country though. And I’m  not shielded from HMRC either. 

Inflation in Norway is over 10% yet I only received a 4.2% pay increase. In effect a 6% pay cut and an even higher tax burden in the U.K. 

A ten second Google search suggested 7.5% for Norway, which is a lot lower than the UK. I don't think either of these numbers are truly reflective of the situation though.