Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

43 minutes ago, onetruth said:

Depends on the criteria.  If you're unskilled and uneducated, but likely to be murdered by the state because they think you look like a wrong-un, that points system might not seem all that fair.  It's easy to design systems if you aren't desperate to escape.

Good point, well made.

Easy for me to spout off when it’s unlikely to happen here I suppose.

BUT - it is my country. Letting everyone in just because their country is a mess isn’t making mine any better, is it?

I wouldn’t burn all my cash just because my mate is skint.

That would make us both equally screwed.

Who thinks that would be a good idea?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, matelot said:

Really? When was the last time you heard of a terrorist attack in the likes of Poland or Hungary? When was the last terrorist attack in Japan?

It's as if opening the doors of the UK to violent immigrants has somehow made Britain a more dangerous place.... 

Can't think of one in Poland or hungary.  Would I like to live in either of those countries?  No.  Would I feel safer there than in Britain? no way!

I don't know of external terrorism in Japan (but they do have their fair share of home-grown crazies like the aum cult), and tbh I have no idea on their immigration policy - they are very overcrowded, though.

UK is safer now than 20 years ago.  Not because of terrorism - terrorism is statistically insignificant (except, of course, for those very few people unfortunate enough to get caught up in it).  It's safer because cars are safer.  And because, for now at least, we still have a functioning health service, thanks to all the immigrants.

1 minute ago, Mark Bolam said:

BUT - it is my country. Letting everyone in just because their country is a mess isn’t making mine any better, is it?

The main reason we make no headway in these discussions is this constant leaping to extremes when anyone talks about options. We can't get anywhere useful when this misrepresentation happens.

I know you mean well Mark (and you are by no means the usual suspect), but this repeating pattern is just so frustrating.

That is also a good point VI.

If I had £100 I could give him £20 to improve his situation.

I could get by with £80 I suppose.

I’d be gutted though, because my Grandad and his mates and generations before them gave their lives fighting wars to give me that £100.

What did my mate do? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, onetruth said:

UK is safer now than 20 years ago.  Not because of terrorism - terrorism is statistically insignificant (except, of course, for those very few people unfortunate enough to get caught up in it).  It's safer because cars are safer.  And because, for now at least, we still have a functioning health service, thanks to all the immigrants.

Yeah, thirty years ago Yugoslavia was a nice safe country then there was a vicious civil war... The reality is we make the UK a more dangerous place by accepting immigrants from places like Afghanistan, Somalia and the Middle East. Why should we accept them? We can all see that terorist attacks are going up and every month another muslim is arrested for terrorist offences. 

When I go to the NHS for treatment I'm amazed at how many foreigners are getting treatment.. I honestly think immigration is more a burden on the NHS than a blessing.

That might just be the most depressing post yet.

No, but you making silly judgements of people’s thoughts is a bit tiring, this country is too small and too skint to do do what you want to do tvi!
There are many families who struggle to feed themselves, food banks on the up( yes, I know drug addicts use them to save up for a hit). Need I say anymore about the need to sort ourselves out before we start thinking about sorting out the rest of the planet.
  • Like 2