Ban on all commercial dumping

flatyre

I've got no issues paying if everyone does. Problem is some people either turn up at the tip in a cheap car small trailer and risk it or fly tip.

What does annoy me is that I can't take my truck on to get rid of my own stuff.

It's got to be an individual county/site thing. I've had a few trucks and vans since I've been down here and never been stopped from dumping domestic stuff.

The rubbish dump leaves the height barrier open so taller vehicles can drive straight in. The lads on the yard do keep a close eye on what's being dump from vans and small trucks though.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fly tipping is cleaned up at the landowners expense - taxpayers only pay if it is on council land.

Cheers

mac

That's true enough someone dumped a transit sized tipper load of tyres on our farm drive. We phoned the council to be told it was our problem!

Luckily we knew another farmer who wanted some to hold down some plastic covering extra bales of straw he had no storage for do he had them!

I once went to the tip when I used to have a little Citroën van. I needed to get rid of my sofa and an old crappy hoover. They refused to let me dump because I was in a commercial vehicle. So I parked up outside, and done what every respectable man would do and called my Daddy. He turned up in his estate, we popped the sofa on the roof rack and hoover in the boot and they let us dump it.... Sad really

Same as most things, depends on the guys on the gate. You obviously get some real jobs worths. Would be good if they allowed a little common sense. It should be very clear if you are just using the work van to drop off a mattress vs if you turn up with an overflowing cage side tipper.

Edited by richy_B

I've been turned away with an armful of kids clothes in my family Kombi VW before, the guy was just a little jobs worth. I parked outside the gates and walked in, he had a right tantrum and confrontational. I just walked past him and put it where it should.

Other times I've went in fully loaded with old couches and carpets from my house, the guys have seen a tree sticker, seen the couch and just given me a thumbs up, they got rewarded with the van booze and biscuits customers gave me that I never drank or ate!

Good guys don't fly tip, idiots do!

If you have a chipper then do some scouting about, always somewhere that will take them. Having a Mog makes it easier as you can get into places transits can't and people will take the chip and not trip over it. I've always rewarded these people with logs and cheap or free tree cutting within reason.

That's true enough someone dumped a transit sized tipper load of tyres on our farm drive. We phoned the council to be told it was our problem!

Wouldn't you just love to take them and dump them in their (the councils) car park and tell them it's now their problem.

If only:sad:

......Good guys don't fly tip, idiots do!....

Exactly, the fact you have gone to a dump shows you are trying to abide by the rules. If you were the typical flytipper you'd just dump it down the closest alley, park, etc. Councils need to have rules but don't do themselves any favours.

Fly tipping is cleaned up at the landowners expense - taxpayers only pay if it is on council land.

Cheers

mac

I thought the law was that fly tipping within 10m of a public road was cleared by council. Anything further away was responsibility of landowner.