Trailer snaking accident

jrose

There must be weight on the hitch. Think about it, if the trailer is rear heavy the hitch and the rear of the vehicle are unweighted. This means that the rear of the trailer becomes controlling and has a negative influence on the front of the trailer (hitch) and the rear of the vehicle. There's a lot more activity at the pivot point than there should be. The longer the trailer the worse the problem because the weight (think pendulum) is farther from the pivot.

I agree. I've never experience snaking on plant trailers. Our accident was a lm166. On a 16ft + trailer it does make getting load dead centre harder as there is so much room.

Start weighing you nose weight once loaded at the height your tow ball will be once loaded.

I think the comments on flexing may be very pertinent.

I have limited experience, towing a 9'x4'6" plant trailer with a wide wheelbase with a Volvo V70. I have had it very loaded, sometimes with long bits of timber lashed on the top. The only time it has ever snaked was with an 18' box lashed on top. The trailer itself was empty and the box was so light that two people could carry it. The sides were around 2' high and it was 2' wide. Being long and light, it flexed badly. It also took the nose weight down a bit as it was so long. The combination seemed to set it wagging at anything over 30. A rather slow journey home with a lot of back roads and pulling over to let people pass.

Alec

I had a snaking experience in a 7.5 ton truck towing a 20m trailer base mewp going down the M23.

Slowly came off the throttle and it stopped, I assume it could happen in any sized vehicle.

I think you could be forgiven for that one Mr Bear, MEWP`s and things like 20` road tow site huts can be very unstable trailers. I think it still comes down to weight distribution and the need to ballast as necessary, just having a draw bar on kit does not automatically make it fit for towing.

Bob