TW 230 latest opinions please.

bggc

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best feature of the 230 is it wide opening making feeding brash a dream, with no annoying lip to catch butts (take note Forst!)

The 230 is simply a phenomenal see chipper

Not taking anything away from Forst there customer support has been second to none and we have not suffered any major down time using one, unlike the 230 which has had teething issues.

Our 230 has needed, a new fuel tank and redesigned bottom feed roller, since both have been replaced there have been no further problems.

Apart from the engine front mounts has some how dropped raising the crankshaft which now doesn't run true to the flywheel so we cannot get the tension right and there by having issues with the stress control which runs of the alternator. In the process of getting this sorted.

As much as I do like the Forst we will probably be trading it in for the 8" Timberwolf next year.

Have your engine mountings broke? Take closer look as I have seen this, they too couldn't keep the belts tight.

Have your engine mountings broke? Take closer look as I have seen this, they too couldn't keep the belts tight.

Yeah I believe that's what's happened although can't see anything obvious yet, will investigate further this week, the rubber mount also looks queer.

Good to see you guys at the show really really can't wait for our Bandit now after seeing all the impressive features in detail on the 990xp.

If it's the same as the car market EU rules prohibit that as we found out when we had a fight with VW some years ago.

Yes but that's consumer driven law, business to business is often different. Mind £150 for a good 200 hours service with materials isn't too bad.

Not taking anything away from Forst there customer support has been second to none and we have not suffered any major down time using one, unlike the 230 which has had teething issues.

I'd go for another Forst but we need to replace two sub 750kg tow chippers, it seems to narrow down to the GM150 and TW 230.

Apart from the engine front mounts has some how dropped raising the crankshaft which now doesn't run true to the flywheel so we cannot get the tension right and there by having issues with the stress control which runs of the alternator. In the process of getting this sorted.

Can you expand on that; many engines sense the rpm off the alternator, so if alternator packs up rollers don't spin but why is this related to the belt tension problem?

I'd go for another Forst but we need to replace two sub 750kg tow chippers, it seems to narrow down to the GM150 and TW 230.

Can you expand on that; many engines sense the rpm off the alternator, so if alternator packs up rollers don't spin but why is this related to the belt tension problem?

The front of the engine has dropped raising the crank shaft, it's also slightly angled now and does not run true to the disc flywheel rotor, there are three belts and because it is angled down the tension is not even on all three.

If the flywheel slips it will not slow the engine and the alternator will not detect reduced rpm stopping the feed rollers so the stress control will not function correctly labouring the engine.

Have you run a TW230 against a Forst? I doubt you will be disappointed, not knocking the Forst it is a great chipper, just hate the narrow hopper, stupid buttons and the damn lip that catches brash-Infeed should be smooth and clear of lips that can snag brush.

Edited by Marc

The front of the engine has dropped raising the crank shaft, it's also slightly angled now and does not run true to the disc flywheel rotor, there are three belts and because it is angled down the tension is not even on all three.

If the flywheel slips it will not slow the engine and the alternator will not detect reduced rpm stopping the feed rollers so the stress control will not function correctly labouring the engine.

OK thanks understood

Have you run a TW230 against a Forst?

Not even seen one and haven't used a timberwolf, or was it its predecessor, since the turn of the millenium. I plan to hire for a week and see how the lads find it as I seldom go on site now.

Consumer law for the public is far tighter than for business to business.

For example, in 2014 our Jersey based company lawyer advised us not to bother pursuing 'Lemon Plant' over a faulty grinder as the machine value was well below limit of what he advised as viable for a business to business case, 100k and it is worth the chase.

If I'd bought it in my name I could have had my money back....after a brisk legal battle of course.

Ty

Thanks for the info on the engine mounts Marc I'll keep an eye on mine, I've had the lower roller upgrade and had the paddles replaced on the rear of the rotator all on warranty with excellent dealer support.

It's a great machine and I prefer it to the Forst which Is also a good machine that I often hire for site work.

Thanks for the info on the engine mounts Marc I'll keep an eye on mine, I've had the lower roller upgrade and had the paddles replaced on the rear of the rotator all on warranty with excellent dealer support.

It's a great machine and I prefer it to the Forst which Is also a good machine that I often hire for site work.

I imagine the front mount issue is just one of those things.

I'd also like to say in view of some of my earlier comments on Forst, please do not think I am bashing it we have a Forst TR6 and TW230 the Forst is a solid piece of kit with exceptional customer support and we are very happy with it, it's just the TW230 edges it on performance on site, where as the Forst edges the TW on build there is good reason they are popular on hire fleets.

Like everything in life there are pros and cons and if anyone tells you they have made the perfect machine they are lying.