Decent metric/imperial socket set

jamesd

I've added mac and King dick to your list, I have a combination of Facom, mac and teng plus some odd Stalhwhile, snap on and King Dick. The mac and facom are lovely in comparison though I haven't broken any Teng yet.

I found using my localish tool supplier (king tools in Rushden) to be by far the cheapest, I normally spend quite a bit when I buy tools and they do me loads of discount + I can pull individual tools out of sets, they do all the warranty on my behalf and will rush order anything I need/break.

I have broken two teng sockets! not with stupid force either. i was really disapointed because they wernt cheap and i thought they were good quality , now i got a bahco set which i think is better quality.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Facom

Gedore

Stahlwille

Hazet

Beta

Facom

Are about the best of the best

Toptul

Bahco

Britool

Teng

For slightly cheaper

I wouldn't put Bahco in the cheaper category, they are as good as the top brand snap on I've used round at the bike shop and the 1/4" drive in my set goes up to 13mm and is strong and allows good access where the 1/2" or 3/8" is too large and the ratchets are quite fine as well. If you want good cheaper tools I have had a Kamasa socket set for over 40 years and only broken the ratchet through serious abuse

Now I am not normally one to baulk at the price of tools but the last Mac franchise I visited had eye watering prices that would make the price gougers at Snap On wince.

Yes they are, I only buy stuff when its on the van at about 50% discount. Can't pay full price for it.

I wouldn't put Bahco in the cheaper category, they are as good as the top brand snap on I've used round at the bike shop and the 1/4" drive in my set goes up to 13mm and is strong and allows good access where the 1/2" or 3/8" is too large and the ratchets are quite fine as well. If you want good cheaper tools I have had a Kamasa socket set for over 40 years and only broken the ratchet through serious abuse

Some bahco and snap on actually overlap seeing as they are owned by the same companyor share a supply company or something but bahco sockets are meant to be the budget range

Although there strong they are just a shade more chuncky in places

But some of it is identical like there 80 tooth ratchets

About 1/4 of the price with bahco branding on

Those prices were on the van:thumbdown:

I mean on the Mac van and at 50% discount. always ask whats on sale.

For instance I bought a set of Mac 1/2 deep metric impact sockets for less than £100. I think its 12-32mm which didn't seem to bad. Apparently rrp on them was well over £200

Got some little chuck torx and screwdiver bit set as well, that was less than £20 and a halfords set is probably £20 so worth having at that price. Probably not at the £80 they were meant to be.

Iv seen snap on tools make more money on eBay then what I buy them for off the van inclucluding silly things like hats that are £17.50 on the van and £40 / £50 on the bay mad !!

Iv got some cheep tools that I leave in the truck and take on jobs but in the work shop it's got to be snap on, I don't think other stuff takes the abouse as well like changing chipper blades hammering sockets on old bolts, changing blunt plyers for new ones etc

In my opinion worth the money and it's all tax deductible any way

I mean on the Mac van and at 50% discount. always ask whats on sale.

For instance I bought a set of Mac 1/2 deep metric impact sockets for less than £100. I think its 12-32mm which didn't seem to bad. Apparently rrp on them was well over £200

Got some little chuck torx and screwdiver bit set as well, that was less than £20 and a halfords set is probably £20 so worth having at that price. Probably not at the £80 they were meant to be.

That was on the Mac van

I don't ask for "what's on sale", I ask for what I need

I have this bahco one, it's brilliant as an an all in one with metric and imperial, normal and deep 1/4 inch sockets, 4 impact sockets and spanners. Before I got this one I had the separate 1/2 inch set and have never broken any of it, even when I deserved to, like when I have swung off a bar on the end of the ratchet, or shocked it with a rubber mallet, or hammered sockets onto nuts.

Before I got the first one i once treated myself to a beta 1/2 inch ratchet which cost as much as my first bahco socket set, since I got the set I have only used the beta ratchet about 3 times:lol:

I also have a 1/4,3/8 and impact socket bahco sets and 7 of their adjustable spanners, so I think I'm a bit of a fan!

image.jpg.5553a6778671e1649817f1aaa6bfb73f.jpg

Edited by william127

I'll back you up there William ive got a fair bit of Bahco stuff and my mates got that very set loves it. Ask any plumber about Bahco adjustables...they love em.

For the money Bahco stuff's hard to beat. (I should have some idea...ive a full flippin snap on roll cab from my spanner monkey days:blushing: )

Dont know if you can still get "Bergen" german stuff but used to be cheap as chips but good stuff :confused1: