Agricultural occupancy condition

simonm

After years of looking i have found a piece of agricultural land with dilapidated farm buildings and a house in need of tlc. As it stands the house has an agricultural occupancy condition upon it and the land, from what i understand you can only purchase it with a view to using it in relation to agriculture, forestry or equestrian purposes. the idea was to extend the current house, knock the knackered tin buildings down and turn it into a yard for firewood & tree surgery related operations & rent the grass land out for horsey folk "with proper planning permission and so on...Would the house having a condition placed upon it potentially throw a major spanner in the works?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After years of looking i have found a piece of agricultural land with dilapidated farm buildings and a house in need of tlc. As it stands the house has an agricultural occupancy condition upon it and the land, from what i understand you can only purchase it with a view to using it in relation to agriculture, forestry or equestrian purposes. the idea was to extend the current house, knock the knackered tin buildings down and turn it into a yard for firewood & tree surgery related operations & rent the grass land out for horsey folk "with proper planning permission and so on...Would the house having a condition placed upon it potentially throw a major spanner in the works?

Maybe avoid referring to it as "tree surgery" and pronounce it "forestry?"

Or, maybe, apply to have the condition removed??

I have looked at properties with agricultural clauses on. You would need to see exactly what the conditions are but usually your main occupation, or last occupation if retires should be in agriculture or forestry. Because I have had paid work for a charity since I stopped being the deer park manager I could now not live in a property with these conditions according to our council. It would also be more difficult to get planning permission to get the property extended.

Forestry is completely different to domestic tree work or site clearance...surely? in the short term to purchase the land perhaps emphasize on the fact that the grassland would be used for equestrian purposes which would keep within the occupancy agreement. I have worked in agriculture before but from what i understand that doesnt mean nothing.

Horses are not agriculture I would try poultry,

I have read various websites that state the usage as agriculture, forestry & equestrian and some that just say agriculture & forestry, does site clearance come under forestry :confused1: