I'm astonished.

eggsarascal

You certainly get into the wrong trade!!

Daughter's earning ~£35k in her first year with Deloitte, bf's earning at least that in his second year with the country's 5th largest accountants.

Son's earning ~£40k playing with code on a keyboard (has Masters in Computer Science), gf's converting to Law with KWM, huge law firm based in Hong Kong.

Emplyers vary hugely in their treatment of their employees: Deloitte are very personnel orientated whilst a previous employer in the family, IBM, are American - i.e. staff are resources, not people.

I'm not sure if your first statement was a sly dig, or not. You being what you were, and knowing what I was?..... If I'm wrong please accept my apology, it will come if it's needed.

£70k going into a household that's costing £30k, being on the tight side, don't sound as bad as it could.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My employer used to send us all on training courses. It was funny meeting the graduates from London, they typically stayed 4 to a flat (two couples) and us Scottish graduates typically had our own flats. If I had to share a flat I'd end up killing my flatmates (or at the very least I'd do something horrible with their toothbrushes).

tbh, unless I was offered a £250,000 a year I wouldn't want to work in London.

I don't know about other parts of the country, but where I am (Glasgow) house prices have done virtually nothing over the last 15 years.

My employer used to send us all on training courses. It was funny meeting the graduates from London, they typically stayed 4 to a flat (two couples) and us Scottish graduates typically had our own flats. If I had to share a flat I'd end up killing my flatmates (or at the very least I'd do something horrible with their toothbrushes).

I don't know about other parts of the country, but where I am (Glasgow) house prices have done virtually nothing over the last 15 years.

I bought a house in a village outside of Durham about 13 years ago and it's pretty much worth what I paid for it.

It's a different story for houses where I live now in Hampshire over the past 13 years! Wish I could have bought here back then

I had a bricky living in one of my squats a few years ago and he worked in London . He was from up north, he traveled down on a sunday night worked the week and went back on the Friday. I dont think he had £300 left after his rent and travel but he reckoned it was better than what he could achieve at home. He said that if there was any work local there would be one hundred folk in front of him after the same job. I thought rather highly of him.

Bob

I had a bricky living in one of my squats a few years ago and he worked in London . He was from up north, he traveled down on a sunday night worked the week and went back on the Friday. I dont think he had £300 left after his rent and travel but he reckoned it was better than what he could achieve at home. He said that if there was any work local there would be one hundred folk in front of him after the same job. I thought rather highly of him.

Bob

Sum people dunna kno tho. Or they're blind toit.

Bob

The thing is British construction workers, in London, are competing against East Europeans that live twenty to a house.....

Saving £300 a week is a fortune for many East Europeans. If they save say £20k they can go back to East Europe and buy a house.

If I was a proper young arborist, a climber and all that, I'd go to London for work and beat the system by living in a tree. In summer time it would be quite nice I think. Pick a huge fluffy tree in a park, out of the way of the main routs, and do the rope magic, set up a wee platform up there, bit of camoflage netting, tarp cover etc etc.

I could leave a rope hanging down, painted so as to disguise it as a vine or creeper, and come and go with my ascenders. Buy a gym membership for the use of the showers, and rake in the shekels......

And, it would be the safest place to sleep in London.

The thing is British construction workers, in London, are competing against East Europeans that live twenty to a house.....

Saving £300 a week is a fortune for many East Europeans. If they save say £20k they can go back to East Europe and buy a house.

True but there is nothing stopping a bunch of our nippers renting a house with the view of living cheap, they could save like hell for a couple of years. They just choose not to.

Bob