Cobra Synthetic Cabling Merits?

jomoco

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If your house has burnt down I don't think you'd give a monkey's toss about a branch falling on it.

Of all the things you have against this stuff Jomo, some of which are at least thoughtworthy, the fire scenario is the lamest.

So despite synthetic cable's high flammability, and the fact there are 212K house/structure fires any given year, you'd still have no qualms about installing a synthetic system over your client's home Mick?

Jomoco

It's the insurance companies that'll be prosecuting these cases in court guys.

It's the fire codes your home owner's insurance enforces before writing a policy, such as X number of feet from the home any highly flammable material must be removed, the opposite of installed.

Jomoco

So abrasion resistance isn't a valid factor to be considered either?

Durability's pretty much a non-issue with you guys eh?

Jomoco

Durability is a factor, I have replaced several early synthetic systems that have reached their service life usually 10years in nearly all cases the brace still appeared to do its function.

Cobra should not be tight it needs a little say in it hence the shock absorber, a former hanger would for the most part be static and the fibres being thick do tolerate a certain amount of abrasion so in such an unlikely event I doubt it would prove significant.

Fires are not an issue I have to contend with not sure of that link you posted, don't want to be rude but pushed for time right now.

Here's one I spotted today blowing in the breeze

Cannot say for sure but that looks incorrectly installed looks like they have done some kind of Brummell lock? Any poorly fitted system will fail.

Both the manufacturer and Marc advise keeping a bit of slack in a properly installed system.

What about vertical leaders with no lateral branches to prevent the termination straps from slipping down?

Installing it 2/3rds of the way up a leader, depends on an accommodating lateral to keep cobra's pants from slipping down around its ankles?

Jomoco