EMERGENCY! Blood clotting stuff...

SteveA

And thus is born another internet myth :laugh1::laugh1::laugh1:

Like the kid who swallowed three packets of pop-rocks and drank a litter of coke.....

I was watching a thing, the US army has invented a type of expanding foam that can be injected into the abdominal cavity of shot-up troops and it expands and solidifies to stabilise traumatised organs and stop internal bleeding on the way to surgery. Pretty wild stuff for bullet and shrapnel wounds, not so much for chainsaw injuries though.

But - just googled it - there exists an aerosol spray version too! Coincidentally, the arm injury in the pic looks like what happened to a friend who got bitten by his top handle, a skidding series of shallow cuts all up the arm.

http://science.dodlive.mil/2015/09/06/hemorrhage-wounds-helped-by-sprayable-foam/

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Israeli bandage is just an updated first field dressing, ie a large wound dressing, with a cool securing method. It doesn't have any clotting agents in it. Celox, Quick Clot etc are types of clotting agents via various means and application types such as impregnated bandage or granules. You really a couple of each if your going to have a bad day. Hope this helps.

Lovely jubbly. Thanks for the explanation.

Were they invented in Israel?

Cheers, Steve

I did my first aid refresher only 2-3 weeks back and they said apply a tourniquet if all other attempts to stop bleeding have failed. Write down the time it was applied and leave it. No mention of taking it off after 7 minutes.

It was a detailed course but not industry specific.

And thus is born another internet myth :laugh1::laugh1::laugh1:

Just trying to pass on my experiences, I would hate to hear of it happening again.

That type of quikclot was thankfully discontinued because of worries about the amount of heat it produces (up to 140C) See here: https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=fJ1mBgAAQBAJ&pg=PT1423&lpg=PT1423&dq=quikclot+140&source=bl&ots=p-fXVwlakz&sig=0FCSjpsla5lXzMQlF1EukLeHjF8&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiw5Z30ua7MAhVMC8AKHTWiCUIQ6AEISzAJ#v=onepage&q=quikclot%20140&f=false

Just trying to pass on my experiences, I would hate to hear of it happening again.

Experiences???

Were you there when it happened???

The idea that a sufficient quantity of an exothermic haemostatic agent could be applied to a human torso to cook it (presumably causing death) is faintly ridiculous

Are you sure they weren't using thermite by mistake??

:laugh1::laugh1:

I was in Aghan when our medics told us about the incident. Does that count?

I doubt the guy was "cooked" in the conventional sense of the word, I was just using the term our medic used. When he was being treated for wounds on his torso, the person treating poured in multiple packets of quikclot which caused additional injuries relating to the heat they produced. I don't know if that's what killed him or not.

I've had first hand experience with celox i would recommend it for your first aid kit definitely amazing stuff even if it cost 5 times what it does i would still get it heres a picture of it on my mates wrist i think its been posted before on a previous thread

Photo0b112.jpg.842fecc0684ef4afaae1e9240258cde3.jpg

• 7 months later...

An army first aid or FFD is fine for cuts and scrapes, even a minor burn (if its soaked first).

But let's face it. If you try and cut your arm/leg off. A big fluffy plaster isn't goin to help too much. Unless you're lucky enough to have a mucker that's beside you and manages to keep calm and just react.

The celox that melts skin (can be arsed searching the actual name) is awesome stuff. I was attached to the yanks in Afghan in 08. They were issued it, really fucky stuff. It's the moisture that sets it off. Even sweaty hands! I'm gonna annoy people now. I don't care about, the infection (deal with it later), the pain you're in, the scar it will leave behind or not having a medical degree to use it. If on that horrid day I or any guy I'm with needs it. They're getting it. Problem is, it's wank at arterial spray stemming. Celox tape/bandage is brilliant and certainly the next level. Watched the 'pig' on YouTube and seen someone else use it in the field. (Ohhhhhh did the lad scream before someone knocked him out). But he went home to his wife and kids, the medic packed in 1 full celox tape to deep arterial wound in the groin. I've kept a roll + gauze pad under my helmet on jobs with sharps (not just sawwork)

Evening all, every interesting post and a lot of things to consider while we all carry out our daily tree work, if you don't mind i would like to add my two pennies worth of both advice and experience, i spend 23 years in the Royal Marines and have been on all of the recent battlefields since the late 80's to 2012. It's good to see that we're all carrying a good comprehensive first aid kits, weather it's a small personnel one on a climbing harness to a large decent one in the landy or mog, it's ok having blood stopping granules, first aid dressings etc, but the primary and most important thing is that you know how to deal with the situation, it's important to have good training in how to use the first aid equipment and carry the right kit in relation to work being carried out, but the most important thing of all is the CASAVAC PLAN, you could be in a remote forestry block to a town centre next to an A&E, if you don't have a plan then your basically ******. If you work on something called the golden hour then you would have tried your best to keep yourself but probably your work mate alive, the first ten minutes is spent giving life saving first aid, this is where the good training comes into play, ABC, stop the bleeding etc, the next 50 minutes is getting the casualties to some sort of primary health care, i.e paramedics or A&E air ambulance etc, throughout the time constantly assessing the casualty, your extraction to safety may be on foot using a stretcher or by vehicle to a road point, ora simple marking of a helicopter landing site, but if it's not planned and if the team is not briefed it wouldn't work, all you will get is a lot of panic and confessed people and may be a very bad outcome, so next time you fill out the site or daily risk assessment take a couple of minutes to make a plan and brief people up, you never know it may save your life, i hope i haven't taught people to suck eggs, thanks and kind regards John.