7.5t Tipper - what's best?

J Holtby

You'll get less vosa hassle running an hgv than you will if you get pulled in an overloaded 3.5 tonner.

I haven't seen anyone from vosa in about 6 years, my ocs is good so I never get stopped.

It's only a fine on a 3.5t though if over loaded on a hgv is a new anus isn't it?

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's only a fine on a 3.5t though if over loaded on a hgv is a new anus isn't it?

I got busted for being 400kg overloaded miles away from base, wagon got immobilized as we couldn't get the weight off before the weigh bridge shut, £400 fine for me & £400 for the firm "they paid mine" they have been to court before for having vehicles overloaded but that's all i know. Same wagon was well known to vosa as different blokes drove it who more often than not had no tacho in etc, it got pulled often.

I got busted for being 400kg overloaded miles away from base, wagon got immobilized as we couldn't get the weight off before the weigh bridge shut, £400 fine for me & £400 for the firm "they paid mine" they have been to court before for having vehicles overloaded but that's all i know. Same wagon was well known to vosa as different blokes drove it who more often than not had no tacho in etc, it got pulled often.

If it was a hgv it would of been worse.

What trucks you running?

But I know it's the right thing to do in reality.

I'm really tempted with a 7.5t truck it's just the vosa hassle that bothers me.

You'll get less vosa hassle running an hgv than you will if you get pulled in an overloaded 3.5 tonner.

I haven't seen anyone from vosa in about 6 years, my ocs is good so I never get stopped.

I've been running a 7.5t truck for the last 20 years, and not once been stopped by vosa or anyone else for that matter.

I've been running a 7.5t truck for the last 20 years, and not once been stopped by vosa or anyone else for that matter.

It probably seems like it's more trouble than it really is, I would have to down plate to 6.5t to be able to pull out chipper, what sort of pay load will I be looking at? 2t 2.5t ???

If it was a hgv it would of been worse.

What trucks you running?

But I know it's the right thing to do in reality.

Overloading is a percentage game Ian, 400kg over on a transit would be the best part of 50% overloaded.Thats a lot when the books being thrown at you, they would cite the braking efficiency , tyre capacity and designed vehicle weights to bolster or beef up their case. The same amount weight (400kg)over on an artic would probably just get you a warning. Vosa around here have transit days but the locals start the tomtoms beating and most give the area a wide berth.

Have a squint at this https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/211970/overloading-the-basics.pdf

Bob

Edited by aspenarb

Overloading is a percentage game Ian, 400kg over on a transit would be the best part of 50% overloaded.Thats a lot when the books being thrown at you, they would cite the braking efficiency , tyre capacity and designed vehicle weights to bolster or beef up their case. The same amount weight (400kg)over on an artic would probably just get you a warning. Vosa around here have transit days but the locals start the tomtoms beating and most give the area a wide berth.

Have a squint at this https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/211970/overloading-the-basics.pdf

Bob

Thanks Bob, that makes a lot of sence. What sort of pay load would I get on a 6.5t with a couple of guys and tools?

It probably seems like it's more trouble than it really is, I would have to down plate to 6.5t to be able to pull out chipper, what sort of pay load will I be looking at? 2t 2.5t ???

Depends what you go for, if you need a 6.5 tonner I'd either go Japanese or for one of the ivecos with a bonnet rather than down plating a big 7.5 tonner. They are already based a a ten tonne design weight, so you would effectively be downplating a ten tonner to 6.5 tonnes.

Depends what you go for, if you need a 6.5 tonner I'd either go Japanese or for one of the ivecos with a bonnet rather than down plating a big 7.5 tonner. They are already based a a ten tonne design weight, so you would effectively be downplating a ten tonner to 6.5 tonnes.

Been looking at canters and isuzu peter, I already have a 3.5t nkr and it's a great little truck, only reason I mention down plating a 7.5t is that there loads more about, 6.5t are thin on the ground. I don't want an iveco or van based 6.5t but a truck based one.

What's the consequences of getting cough over weight on an o licence?