MS201 tc-m Help!

Treespasser

I'm annoyed about all these computer chips because a older saw you can strip down sort out and put back together yourself, but not anymore :-(.

But yeah I'd say the sthil is the better of the 2 IMO.

You can still do everything you could apart from tune the carb can't you ? A couple of autotune saws have been repaired, rebuilt and ported on here and they still perform better than standard apparently. It's progress and we are stuck with it, you don't want to go back to points and condensers for sure.

Edited by peatff

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can still do everything you could apart from tune the carb can't you ? A couple of autotune saws have been repaired, rebuilt and ported on here and they still perform better than standard apparently. It's progress and we are stuck with it, you don't want to go back to points and condensers for sure.

Probably not but at least they were easy to adjust and cheap to replace :001_smile:

I was thinking about where saw technology might be heading and was looking at how air cooled motorcyles had fared when faced with ever tighter emission regulations. The only way I could see to keep power levels where they already are and reduce emissions at a given engine capacity is liquid cooling, failing that it'll take an increase in engine size to provide the required power levels, that's whats happening with air cooled motorcucles. Is it practical to add liquid cooling? there's extra weight and if you need to drive a pump for the coolant the power taken to drive the pump will reduce the power available to cut. Will they go for 4 stroke engines which are more emission friendly, switch to twin cylinder engines?

Perhaps more likely is that they'll simply switch to battery power, zero emissions from the saw but conveniently ignoring the emissions/waste/pollutants created by producing and recharging (and ultimately dumping) the batteries, still it'll make it appear that the government is serious about the green issue and appease the greens for a little while.

Our carbon footprint is so much worse than the one attributable to them while they're driving around in limo's or jetting off to the latest 'talks' on the environment.

:001_rolleyes:

Probably not but at least they were easy to adjust and cheap to replace :001_smile:

I was thinking about where saw technology might be heading and was looking at how air cooled motorcyles had fared when faced with ever tighter emission regulations. The only way I could see to keep power levels where they already are and reduce emissions at a given engine capacity is liquid cooling, failing that it'll take an increase in engine size to provide the required power levels, that's whats happening with air cooled motorcucles. Is it practical to add liquid cooling? there's extra weight and if you need to drive a pump for the coolant the power taken to drive the pump will reduce the power available to cut. Will they go for 4 stroke engines which are more emission friendly, switch to twin cylinder engines?

Perhaps more likely is that they'll simply switch to battery power, zero emissions from the saw but conveniently ignoring the emissions/waste/pollutants created by producing and recharging (and ultimately dumping) the batteries, still it'll make it appear that the government is serious about the green issue and appease the greens for a little while.

Our carbon footprint is so much worse than the one attributable to them while they're driving around in limo's or jetting off to the latest 'talks' on the environment.

:001_rolleyes:

If you are comparing motorbikes then look at the X7, GT380, GT750, RD200/250/400, YPVS250/350, YPVS750, Gamma 250/750......where are they now.....they are four strokes, two stroke bike technology has almost died.

Water cooling is just an answer to getting more power reliably and won't sort emissions, this will come from the electronics, injection systems, and engine design.

We are in a transition between the old technology saws in to a new era of new technology, a bit like when cars started using electronic ECUs. They are now soooo much more reliable but when they go wrong:thumbdown:

The manufacturers will get to a point when this new technology is reliable, it is just taking a bit of time and frustrating all of us.

Ultimately, battery power will win the day, it is just time before the manufacturers get a light motor and light battery pack that develops silly HP and bang goes your MS660/661!

When this happens, I hang up the spanners for the last time and head to the deck chair in the back garden:thumbup:

Same thing happened to my 540, chain brake broke off breaking off the crankcase bit.

Gutted really, otherwise lovely saw.

I'd get the new electronic Stihl, Echos are alright for householders, landscapers and people who think that saving 150 quid over 3 years is important.

I wouldn't have one on the van.

If you are comparing motorbikes then look at the X7, GT380, GT750, RD200/250/400, YPVS250/350, YPVS750, Gamma 250/750......where are they now.....they are four strokes, two stroke bike technology has almost died.

Water cooling is just an answer to getting more power reliably and won't sort emissions, this will come from the electronics, injection systems, and engine design.

We are in a transition between the old technology saws in to a new era of new technology, a bit like when cars started using electronic ECUs. They are now soooo much more reliable but when they go wrong:thumbdown:

The manufacturers will get to a point when this new technology is reliable, it is just taking a bit of time and frustrating all of us.

Ultimately, battery power will win the day, it is just time before the manufacturers get a light motor and light battery pack that develops silly HP and bang goes your MS660/661!

When this happens, I hang up the spanners for the last time and head to the deck chair in the back garden:thumbup:

Yeah I agree, the electronics are at a very early stage and as market leaders Husy and Stihl are suffering (if that's the right word) as they're the ones pushing new technology, but it will be sorted. As far as liquid cooling goes it has an effect on emissions as a side effect, engine runs cooler = less power loss = less fuel required to produce a given output, that's partly why BMW and now Triumph have had to add liquid cooling to their air cooled bikes, coupled with an increase in engine capacity.

Interestingly you mention 2 stroke motorbikes, they started off air cooled/reed or disc valve, went liquid cooled, went liquid cooled with variable port timing e.g. YPVS and whatever Suzuki and Kawasaki called theirs. Powervalves in an attempt to maintain outright power without loosing bottom end power (torque) and all whilst making their bikes more fuel efficient and thus cleaner.

Chainsaw engines are still miles behind even with the electronics. It's possible we'll see carbs being replaced by fuel injectors which would make better use of the electronics used for the ignition system. Cheaper, lighter and less parts than a carb and they're already been used in racing 2 stroke engines, even my 09 Triumph Scrambler which is air cooled has fuel injection.

Same thing happened to my 540, chain brake broke off breaking off the crankcase bit.

Gutted really, otherwise lovely saw.

I'd get the new electronic Stihl, Echos are alright for householders, landscapers and people who think that saving 150 quid over 3 years is important.

I wouldn't have one on the van.

LOL :biggrin:

Yeah they've only been making saws since the 1960's, bloody newcomers :biggrin:

I've been thinking about getting a new big topper(xp540 or 201) so I went to see my local echo dealer after reading the rave reviews on here about the new little saw just to have a look and check the quality , I think I'll be saving for the 201 with the electronics rather than the echo range

There was excessive moulding flash on all edges and the saws looked and felt cheap, just my opinion but then I am a confirmed stihl snob