Hard Working

Stefan Palokangas

Cut down a trees today and cut it down to fire logs for the customer, and grinded the stumps out, felled it and it was just like it was always no need to think just do it, and it went where I wanted it just like always. I so enjoyed this work so I must go and get all the climbing gear and related.

Was told by the customer I was the hardest working trader they have ever had in the property. And got to price more jobs, for 4 other neighbors, will keep me busy for quite a few days. To get that feedback just makes me work even harder and better.

I walked up and down 3 times in the grass to make sure there was not one bit of chainsaw debree or stump grinding debree left on the grass.

This trade is the best ever, I so enjoy it. I do think the key word is to be very very tidy and leave the job better compared to when you arrived.

Never leave a dent in the grassed area ever.

To get the coffee / water / bananas / other fruit / and such nice customers.

It's the best ever !

Best Regards

Stefan

well done stefan.i had a pita customer yesterday .we were working next door and he asked us to fell an dead apple tree.looked over and said aye £50 to drop it and log it .felled and chipped in 20 mins ,loaded kit and no cash ...i said to client and he said they logs wont fit my fire ,i said get an axe ,he said could you just cut them up with saw .....i swore under my breath and 15 mins later a tidy job became a mess as his lawn was covered in logs and saw dust.grabbed the cash and fled.you get what you pay for:thumbup:

When working in domestic gardens, doing whatever you're up to, it's always the 'finish' that your work is judged on. Leave hedge clippings everywhere, or twigs all over the lawn, or stones and clods on the grass after stumping, and you'll seldom get asked back. Leave it clean and tidy for them to look at long after you've gone, and they may just invite you back to take some more money off them next year.

When working in domestic gardens, doing whatever you're up to, it's always the 'finish' that your work is judged on. Leave hedge clippings everywhere, or twigs all over the lawn, or stones and clods on the grass after stumping, and you'll seldom get asked back. Leave it clean and tidy for them to look at long after you've gone, and they may just invite you back to take some more money off them next year.

Very, very true.

My rake collection is worth more than some of my saws.

Oh, dents are different Mick.

At quoting I always say, it's a big tree, your lawns getting hammered, unless you want to pay £1k instead of £500?

They're not usually too bothered after that, although we make good as best we can.

Makes me laugh seeing people rigging everything off a big tree, then dropping the butt on a lawn leaving a trench any Tommy would have been proud of in 1918.

one of my first things to do onsite is suss out how much collateral damage one can get away with! better to ask first rather than spend ages avoiding a shrub for them to then say oh can you cut that down too !:)

That's a very good point.

It's a good idea to point to a shrub under a tree before a removal and ask "is that hydrangea/maple/forsythia precious?" Very often they'll say "not really"

And life becomes a lot easier.

If they say that they're recently deceased granny planted it the day the client was born......well, at least you know.