Roll on Roll off skip a feasible idea?

jamesd

I currently do multiple runs to my local commercial green waste recycling centre to get rid of my hedge cuttings and grass cuttings and I'm getting a bit tired off all the running around going to the tip eating into my working day.

How does anyone else dispose of their green waste? I'm currently playing with the idea of getting a 40yard ro ro delivered and just filling it up and getting it taken away, although i think the cost will be slightly higher than going to the tip, time wise it will be much easier.

Does anyone know if there are any rules and regulations regarding where you can put a skip?

Has any got any other better ideas? or used a similar method as i'm thinking about?

Cheers in advance, James.

Edited by jamesd

No regulations as such, because it's "temporary." But your will need to be away from moaning type neighbours. For odour and vermin reasons. I used to take skips to a landscape firm based in a farm yard. I said why don't you get a 40 yard ro to. They did and still get it. Easier to load than a skip if you have the gear.

There are rules in heaping waste and composting which need a licence, so for you a 40 yard with the paperwork saves the hassle.

You may need to get a 20yd for soil and heavy waste as the bin loaded can only be around 18-20 ton.

Keeping green waste seperate will make it cheaper as well. Don't let the lads sling in plastic, metal etc.

Depending on how frequent it gets emptied there may be a hire charge as well. It will pay perhaps to only have it when you need it. For example grasscutting season, or big hedge trimming contracts.

Whilst it is a big invoice. Time and fuel saved it should be cost effective.

• 2 weeks later...
No regulations as such, because it's "temporary." But your will need to be away from moaning type neighbours. For odour and vermin reasons. I used to take skips to a landscape firm based in a farm yard. I said why don't you get a 40 yard ro to. They did and still get it. Easier to load than a skip if you have the gear.

There are rules in heaping waste and composting which need a licence, so for you a 40 yard with the paperwork saves the hassle.

You may need to get a 20yd for soil and heavy waste as the bin loaded can only be around 18-20 ton.

Keeping green waste seperate will make it cheaper as well. Don't let the lads sling in plastic, metal etc.

Depending on how frequent it gets emptied there may be a hire charge as well. It will pay perhaps to only have it when you need it. For example grasscutting season, or big hedge trimming contracts.

Whilst it is a big invoice. Time and fuel saved it should be cost effective.

I have been looking into this a bit more and phoned around a few skip hire places and most places with a 35/40yard ro ro will charge you say around 350 for the skip which includes 2 tonnes of waste but then you pay for each tonne after that which is 120 odd pounds per tonne.

This means i could see the costs being quite large once he skip is full as if say i fill it half with grass cuttings and half hedge cuttings that must be getting on tonneage wise.

Do you know how much weight was in the one you use to collect? It might give me an idea as what i might be paying...

Don't want to be hit with a massive bill at the end of it!

Also you don't one getting nicked...that can be really expensive....get a bigger truck and it a tipping trailer

My main issue is i need to unload the truck at the end of each day so i've got room for the mowers etc for the next days work.

I havn't got anywhere to put a tipping trailer where i wouldn't worry it would get stolen!

My main issue is i need to unload the truck at the end of each day so i've got room for the mowers etc for the next days work.

I havn't got anywhere to put a tipping trailer where i wouldn't worry it would get stolen!

why not ask a local farmer if you tip a bit of stuff somewhere out of site on his land?..

or ask a few of your fellow gardeners where they tip off...

There comes a time where you have to jump up a level!

Get a yard, get a bigger van, trailer, staff etc. Then 2-3 jobs a day don't even cover wages, so you need to do 8-9 jobs, earn 3 times as much, then it's finance, debt and stress!

My advice is enjoy your runs to the tip in the van with the radio on, because you are chilling and not physically working yourself into the bone.

When you get a huge truck and staff, these little breaks don't come along, when the customer asks if you want a cuppa and your lads all look up, you only see pound signs going down the drain!