Best sheeting for firewood?

skyhuck

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We use heavy duty tarpaulins over split billets and leave it for a year. Sides are open so plenty of air and it dries beautifully even in wet years. We tried cheap tarps but they don't last and any hole ruins the wood below. We put ropes through every eye, it's not worth skimping and usually hang logs rather than tie down so there is some give in the wind.

Erect a scaffolding shelter over the pile with a tin roof , it can all be dismantled and moved or extended and sold off when no longer required ........ At one yard we used to sling a rope between 2 trees and this effectively became the ridge pole of a tent ( large tarpaulin ) we could also work under it when wet as well , but you need a relatively wind free site ( this was in woodland )

I gave up on tarpaulins, simply windy up here in the NW, based on 20 years experience.

Some sort/any sort of frame and tin sheeting, however rough, & significently maximize cover by fitting sheets upside down and NOT overlapping, even leaving about a 15 to 20mm gap between the upturned edges to encourage ventilation.

Surprisingly Insignificent amounts of rain will penetrate btw.

OR

I found that if I stacked the billet bundles 4 or 5 high, only a portion of the top row got wet enough to matter, and if set aside for a few days even they too dried enough, or simply leave them out another year, lower in the stack.

But in this respect the wind is my friend, not my tarpaulin shredding enemy.

marcus

Edited by difflock

"ten cate toptex" is your answer.

It looks a bit like felt, let's air (and thus evaporated moisture) through, but water runs off it provided it's sloping.

It dries timber much better than tarps as air still flows, for the same reason it's much less probe to getting blown to shreds. It's really quite tough as well, and any tears/punctures don't "run"