Our own worst enemy?

Gary Prentice

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats a great scenario err...fairy tale that really backs up your point...heres another.

Young apprentice first day on site told to be banksman while the rest of the crew climb,cut,drag and chip.

The apprentice is really keen to learn and get on in the industry, has all the appropriate PPE and is ever mindfull of doing a great job.

He has all the qualifications,read the risk assessment,method statement and health and safety literature,yet has no idea that 20 feet above his head a lose limb is about to fall off the tree and break his collar bone.

In our industry accidents happen to even the most safety concious individuals not because they were lacking in safety awareness,but just because our industry is boody dangerous and all the "good example setting" isnt goin to change that.

My other point is you stereotyped a person simply because someone told you he was sat on a chipper,which imo is really poor form.

Apologies for calling you a pratt,but your post was condescending,which really gets my back up.

Ive had enough now im out...

Edited by stihlmadasever

Whoops, touched a nerve?

Ummm, your final sentence appears to be in conflict with the one marked in red above?

I could explain why it's inappropriate but it'd likely fall on deaf ears so I won't bother. If you can find it in the user manual though, and you think it's a design feature, appreciate if you could just link that up so that the wider world can benefit....

What you do, and perhaps more importantly the example you set, is most unlikely to ever impact upon myself so crack on as you see fit - don't take it personally fella, I couldn't give a monkeys how you behave at work.

:bandit:

Oh, go on then......

scenario:

New young apprentice on site regularly sees experienced crew member eating sandwiches and yarning-on whilst sat in the chipper at lunchtime quite reasonably considers this to be normal and acceptable practice.....

One hot busy day whilst the supervisor is distracted talking to the client or sorting a rigging scenario, the apprentice, having gained some confidence and starting to feel like "one of the guys" thinks I'll have a break and catch a cold drink whilst it's quiet for a minute.

He sits in the hopper, sweat shirt tied around his waist reaches down and takes a well deserved cool gatorade from the iggy.....

Meanwhile, senior groundy who's in a bit of a rage because he's been wrestling a particularly troublesome piece of brash back to the chipper from the direction of the tow hitch, stops briefly to fire the bad boy up and crank the revs on so as to destroy his brash pile - doesn't see matey who's reaching in the iggy.....

The rest is pretty self explanatory and is dissected in detail at the coroner's hearing.....

And it could all have been avoided if those that should have known better had set an appropriate example.

Plenty of "what ifs" and "assumptions" there but I'd be surprised if you thought the scenario was too outlandish to have a hint of the possible reality to it? And assuming you did see the potential, would you still advocate sitting in the hopper as an acceptable example?

Just asking that's all, nothing personal, despite your initial and subsequent personal insults.....

:001_smile:

:lol::laugh1::lol: You are wasted on here Kevin, that is worthy of Bills and Boon!!!and just about as likely.

By your logic how do any of us survive??:001_huh:

I'll get my come uppence no doubt :biggrin:

I certainly hope not Stubby! Your years and wisdom are evidence enough of evolutionary development and survival instinct.....

I'm just suggesting that sometimes it's not only our personal actions that can lead to disaster but also the example others, perhaps less savvy, take from our behaviour!

Somebody wants to sit in the chipper, that's no problem - it won't be my chipper and it won't be my job.

We may all have bad habits and carelessness on occasions, but it cannot be sensible to advocate behaviour that could, in a sequence of events, lead to a tragedy that could so easily be avoided?

:lol::laugh1::lol: You are wasted on here Kevin, that is worthy of Bills and Boon!!!and just about as likely.

By your logic how do any of us survive??:001_huh:

Oh David......

After so long, I was starting to see a glimmer of hope that we were just starting to embark on a long and fruitful journey of professional and intellectual discourse.....

Please say it isn't over so soon......:blushing:

Only bosses (especially those with bad backs) can sit on the hopper, often it's the only flat dry surface on a worksite.

I take some of your points Kevin, but I think you're over reacting, on a job site in the hopper of a roaring chipper is the last place anyone wants to be, unless you were profoundly deaf moving away from it in a quiet moment is what anyone would do.

Only bosses (especially those with bad backs) can sit on the hopper, often it's the only flat dry surface on a worksite.

I take some of your points Kevin, but I think you're over reacting, on a job site in the hopper of a roaring chipper is the last place anyone wants to be, unless you were profoundly deaf moving away from it in a quiet moment is what anyone would do.

You know how these discussions get out of hand Mick - you're an icon of the outlandish and entertaining at times....!

It's kind of fun in a way, but seriously, I'm less troubled by what other people do, than by someone trying to convince themselves/others* (*delete as appropriate) that any given situation / scenario is somehow perfectly acceptable or good practice where it's wholly unjustifiable.

Perhaps a poll would be in order to set the issue to rest once and for all?

Do you sit in the chipper - Y/N

Are you dead or seriously injured - Y/N

If dead, which brand of chipper "did" for you - TW/GM/ET/other

Which is the best chipper?

If tracked, which is the best trailer - BJ/IW/B

:confused1: