Fueling the Invasion

when i worked in essex we had two mink in the grounds near the pheasant rearing pens which were full of poults:thumbdown: well we did until the estate gamekeepers came along with the twelvebore:thumbup: i didn't know that mink vaporised at fifty paces:lol:

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well i thought this was one of daves little funny threads, i had no idea parackeets were so abundant in our country. is this from escaped pets breeding?

"Parakeets have been popular pets since the Victorian times, and inevitably, many birds have escaped or been deliberately released over the years. Despite their tropical origin, the parakeets are fully able to cope with the cold British winters, especially in suburban parks, large gardens, and orchards, where food supply is more reliable.

Despite good numbers of parakeets living in the wild for a long time, and apart from an isolated incidence in Norfolk in 1855, they only started to breed in 1969 in Kent, south-east of London. Since then the population has steadily increased, currently numbers over 5,000 individuals, and is still growing.

Even though Greater London and surrounding areas is still its stronghold, the species has been recorded in almost every county in England, and has reached Wales and the Scottish borders."

Rspb.org

Couple of decent hawks would soon sort that out. :thumbup1:

Watched a sparrowhawk take one down last year; what a racket but the green vermin wasn't giving up. The hawk did after about 30 seconds and they went their separate ways. Hawk realised that the 'keet's beak presented a major risk. So needs something bigger than a sparrowhawk. We have good numbers of buzzards now but they don't take birds on the wing I believe. Turbocharged Merlin perhaps?!

Despite good numbers of parakeets living in the wild for a long time, and apart from an isolated incidence in Norfolk in 1855, they only started to breed in 1969 in Kent, south-east of London. Since then the population has steadily increased, currently numbers over 5,000 individuals, and is still growing.

My dad caught one in 1968 and added it to his collection of foreign birds (live ones). If only he'd known the future he'd have redefined 'ringneck'!

Watched a sparrowhawk take one down last year; what a racket but the green vermin wasn't giving up. The hawk did after about 30 seconds and they went their separate ways. Hawk realised that the 'keet's beak presented a major risk. So needs something bigger than a sparrowhawk. We have good numbers of buzzards now but they don't take birds on the wing I believe. Turbocharged Merlin perhaps?!

Goshawk, the Sparrowhawk's bigger cousin, and sadly still very uncommon - but making a comeback.

This would be well capable of dealing with a Parakeet.

Not surprised the Sparrowhawk had problems - All Para's go through a rigorous training regime and are notoriously tough...:biggrin::blushing:

O.K, I'll get me coat...:blushing::blushing:

ha ha, i was at a gamefair, and they had a periguin hybrid, this thing was like a periguin on steroids. it tickled 190 miles an hour and when it hit its prey it was like a gun going off, beek or no beek, that would sort it out. i must admit, i think they look cool

SWB, I just misread that really badly and thought you said penguin :lol: