stihl 2 stroke oils again?

shillo

6 minutes ago, bmp01 said:

Thanks for that last bit - useful home experiment 👍 Can we assume your experiment was undertaken in shed type conditions ie cold (winter) and hot (summer) ?  

Yes no problem,  in a dark tool shed no daylight whatsoever over winter (Ireland) nothing too cold and dramatic and  yea it went through the summer as well before that, again not that hot either, a cool dark place is perfect for it  😉 

10 minutes ago, Johnkv said:

Yes no problem,  in a dark tool shed no daylight whatsoever over winter (Ireland) nothing too cold and dramatic and  yea it went through the summer as well before that, again not that hot either, a cool dark place is perfect for it  😉 

Nice one. I use the Stihl Super already, no complaints to date. I'll not worry so much about it hanging around in saws..... 

5 minutes ago, bmp01 said:

Nice one. I use the Stihl Super already, no complaints to date. I'll not worry so much about it hanging around in saws..... 

I left it in the strimmer over the winter again in the same shed with no light etc and she fired up straight away next spring. Obviously the manufacturer will advise against this but it works for me.. no I wouldn't worry especially just over winter months anyway. 

Edited by Johnkv
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Stubby said:

NASSA top lab I understand 🙂

I'm torn between 'cheeky fecker' and justifying the experiment statement along the lines of real life experience .... valued by manufacturers ,... blar, blar

Think we'll go with 'cheeky fecker' 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Johnkv said:

Yes the usa one has it it's manufactured in USA , the European version is made in Germany and does not contain it. I've emailed both sides and that's the reply I got. Headwrecking really.. I actually kept some hp super mixed fuel I had left and kept it in a glass bottle well over a year ago, it still smells and looks as good as the day I made it. E95 fuel. 

Well that sucks! I just bought 5lt of ultra. Gonna have to buy separate stabilizer now. Although I never used stabilizer before and not had any problems.

Checked the JASO ratings, C (Ultra) is the same lubricity as B (Super) but produces more smoke. Weird. I wonder if it's because Ultra has a caster oil base, which would allow it to biodegrade and Super is a mineral oil base? "Synthetic" defines the additive package, I gather, rather than the base. So could a "fully synthetic" oil be a plant based base, like castor?

I was told castor oil has yet to be beaten for lubricity by anything man made.

• Like 1

I'm not sure how much store to put by JASO rating anyway, it isn't a chainsaw test. The lubricity rating is the same so it's not telling us that FB will mean less wear.

Stihl tell us Ultra produces less carbon deposit, I'm inclined to believe them and carry on using it. I store my saws with full tanks to minimise evaporation, never had a problem starting saws which have sat for a few months so I don't see a problem with stabiliser either.

16 minutes ago, Dan Maynard said:

I'm not sure how much store to put by JASO rating anyway, it isn't a chainsaw test. The lubricity rating is the same so it's not telling us that FB will mean less wear.

Stihl tell us Ultra produces less carbon deposit, I'm inclined to believe them and carry on using it. I store my saws with full tanks to minimise evaporation, never had a problem starting saws which have sat for a few months so I don't see a problem with stabiliser either.

A few months isn't gonna make a difference. Stabilizer is for stuff that sits for a year or so, I think like boats. Just would be nice to have it built in as insurance. 

• Like 1

I looked into the jaso ratings a few years back when I got my 365.  At the time I had a stihl ms180 and noting that ultra wasn't advised if bought the next best and got the green super.  Now husky see arrived and the manual says use husqvarna xp oil at 50:1 or other oils at 30:1.  I didn't want to kinds of mix around and as the ms180 has no high speed mix screw on the carb I didn't want to run it on 30:1. So I set about the specs to see if husq were just pushing their oil without evidence.  I didn't really answer that question and in the end bought XP and mix to 40:1 half half with my super 🤣.  XP is low smoke and fully synthetic.  I think basically it equates to ultra. I also suspect the fully synthetic oils are far better than the semi ...in hard environs like extended use.  As a homeowner doing 15 cube of firewood a year semi would be fine but the free extra pence for XP is irrelevant. I suspect the jaso spec does not draw out how the fully synthetic oils are 'better' as it's not designed to test that.... Which leaves us inquisitive users feeling uneasy.  Anyway....I use about a gallon of mix a year so it's going to be another 10-12 years before I need more oil. When I do I'll likely buy XP again.

Oh and I use star-tron stabiliser and Esso synergy supreme 99+ as it's guaranteed e free.  It's marked e5 at the pump as that's the law, but Esso guarantee it e free except for certain locations.  Shell stopped guaranteeing vpower e free several years ago.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, neiln said:

I looked into the jaso ratings a few years back when I got my 365.  At the time I had a stihl ms180 and noting that ultra wasn't advised if bought the next best and got the green super.  Now husky see arrived and the manual says use husqvarna xp oil at 50:1 or other oils at 30:1.  I didn't want to kinds of mix around and as the ms180 has no high speed mix screw on the carb I didn't want to run it on 30:1. So I set about the specs to see if husq were just pushing their oil without evidence.  I didn't really answer that question and in the end bought XP and mix to 40:1 half half with my super 🤣.  XP is low smoke and fully synthetic.  I think basically it equates to ultra. I also suspect the fully synthetic oils are far better than the semi ...in hard environs like extended use.  As a homeowner doing 15 cube of firewood a year semi would be fine but the free extra pence for XP is irrelevant. I suspect the jaso spec does not draw out how the fully synthetic oils are 'better' as it's not designed to test that.... Which leaves us inquisitive users feeling uneasy.  Anyway....I use about a gallon of mix a year so it's going to be another 10-12 years before I need more oil. When I do I'll likely buy XP again.

Oh and I use star-tron stabiliser and Esso synergy supreme 99+ as it's guaranteed e free.  It's marked e5 at the pump as that's the law, but Esso guarantee it e free except for certain locations.  Shell stopped guaranteeing vpower e free several years ago.

Why not just use one of the pre mixed alkylate fuels such as Aspen or rhe Husqvarna one ?  You can pretty much forget it then .  One gallon a year , with a shelf life of ten years or something daft like that , thats the way I would go .

• Like 4