Staff having to leave for emergency.?

benedmonds

Staff home emergency?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Staff home emergency?

• Carry on with work, can sort it at the end of the day.
    • Expect the worker to sort their own transport at their cost.
    • Pay for cab to take them home.
    • Drop everything and drive them home.
    • Other - please elaborate...

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You appear to have missed my point entirely.

Someone who starts and runs their own company may well be the kind of person who would call a cab or make what ever other arrangements that were needed, IMO it is wrong to expect the same from your employees, this is possibly why they are employees.

Yea the independent types who work hard and want to work hard.. I get you..

But we mustn't confuse those with greedy worthless employers who might consider their own greed before the welfare of those they employ....

Theres plenty of em...

A place I worked originally had a 'Personnel Department' that implied that they were dealing with 'Persons'

They then changed the name of the Department to a 'Human Resources' department, one definition of 'Resource' is "something used for want of better"

If you employ 'people' treat them as such.

As the Boss you're meant to go above and beyond what you expect from your employees if you want to have any respect, you may well feel that you should call a cab (although I'd venture to suggest that if it was your emergency you'd take the 1st means of transport that was available and whatever staff you needed would be taken off site, I may very well be wrong)

IMO it's a mistake to take the view that they should do the same, as an employer you have a certain degree of moral responsibility to those you employ.

That said you do need a policy in place clearly stating the minimum an employee can expect in an emergency situation.

Force Majeure Leave, as per Irish statute, must be something similar in the UK

Every employer will receive an employee request for time off to care for a family member. However, many employers are unsure what an employee’s rights are. This article considers the ‘family friendly’ entitlements of Carer’s, Force Majeure and Parental Leave.

Force Majeure Leave,

If an employee has an urgent family crisis/emergency, the Parental Leave Acts 1998-2013 allows a right to paid leave from work for up to 3 days in a rolling 12 month period and 5 days in a rolling 36 month period. This is known as Force Majeure Leave. A close family member is defined as: A child or adopted child of the employee; The husband/wife/partner of the employee; Parent or grandparent of the employee; Brother or sister of the employee; Person to whom the employee has a duty of care (that is, he/she is acting in loco parentis); A person in a relationship of domestic dependency with the employee, including a same-sex partner; Persons of any other class (if any) as may be prescribed.

It is important to note that this leave entitlement only applies where the employee’s immediate presence is indispensable due to the illness or injury of a close relative. This is a fairly strict interpretation and generally relates to a medical emergency. Given the ‘emergency’ element of this leave it is very rare that an employee would be entitled to consecutive days of force majeure leave as the immediacy and emergency would have ended on day one.

Employees are entitled to be paid while on force majeure leave and employers are entitled to request evidence of the emergency where possible. In addition, employers are required to keep records of force majeure leave for up to eight years.

This discussion seems fairly pointless unless what constitutes a genuine emergency is defined.

Very hard to define.

A few weeks ago my 8 year old fell at school. She was in tears and I had a call from the school saying they weren't happy to diagnose her problem, basically wanted me to look and make the decision wether she needed to go to a&e or not. As it happens I was able to get hold of my dad who went down and collected her, took her to hospital where after an xray they diagnosed a sprained wrist. So not an emergency by any means, however if I had been unable to get hold of someone then my little girl was sitting at school in tears and needed her dad, that to me would have been an emergency that I would have dropped everything for if needed.

Very hard to define.

A few weeks ago my 8 year old fell at school. She was in tears and I had a call from the school saying they weren't happy to diagnose her problem, basically wanted me to look and make the decision wether she needed to go to a&e or not. As it happens I was able to get hold of my dad who went down and collected her, took her to hospital where after an xray they diagnosed a sprained wrist. So not an emergency by any means, however if I had been unable to get hold of someone then my little girl was sitting at school in tears and needed her dad, that to me would have been an emergency that I would have dropped everything for if needed.

As your boss, after hearing of your situation, I'd of let you go, set you off or drove you to school..

No matter my days loss...

keeping my workers happy pays better dividends than one days loss of income...

And if I found myself driving you home through gritted teeth, I'd have to have a long hard look at myself to see if I was fit for purpose..

Very hard to define.

Agree with that lad 👍🏾

Another consideration is the actual job in hand, if I were the main climber on a Crain removal with A road traffic management on, and many ground staff, I would be inclined to make great efforts to get another person to deal with things until I was able to attend. Where as Mrs Miggins tree can wait until tomorrow.

I've had a member off here need to leave for a family emergency. As soon as he said I told him to get in the truck and just go. We cracked on and yes it took us a bit longer but in the grand scheme of things, it's only work. Paid him in full for the day too as I see it as swings and roundabouts. He's made me money on multiple sites. This is out of his hands so I'll pay him in full because he intended to finish the job before the news.

In fact this week I had to rush off to the hospital for a family emergency. 2 days I didn't come in and the guys just switched tasks, informed the clients who needed to be switch around and continued as normal.

Personally I feel you've got to be brain dead to not allow someone to rush off for an emergency. If you use it as an excuse to slope off for whatever reason then that's just wrong.