Staff having to leave for emergency.?

benedmonds

Staff home emergency?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Staff home emergency?

• Carry on with work, can sort it at the end of the day.
    • Expect the worker to sort their own transport at their cost.
    • Pay for cab to take them home.
    • Drop everything and drive them home.
    • Other - please elaborate...

It was more of a general question, it did happen today but it has happened a number of times in a number of situations. I dont think i am in tbe wrong, and it was not awkward but it is open for discusion!

ok fair enough:001_smile:

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What was the "hypothetical" emergency?

The incident that triggered my thought process and the post is not important, it was meant to be more of a general policy discussion. I have never wanted to make the discussion about a particular individuals actions.

In this case the individual is a good worker who makes a valuable contribution to the company and I have NO issues with their actions on this or any other day.

I want to be fair with my staff and discussing my policies with others gives me a range of points of view to consider. I have no real training in business management but now run a business with 8 full time staff and half a dozen free lancers. I am utilising the forum to gather views of others so I can have policies in place that can are deemed reasonable....

Hypothetical..ish question - If you have a member of staff or free lancer who has to leave a job for an emergency at home that is about an hour away. They are in a team of 3 and the job could go on without them.

What would you expect the team to do?

Assuming he is a loyal and trusted member of the team and not the sort to be crying wolf I would take him home. You should treat others in much the same way you expect to be treated yourself.

Bob

The incident that triggered my thought process and the post is not important, it was meant to be more of a general policy discussion. I have never wanted to make the discussion about a particular individuals actions.

In this case the individual is a good worker who makes a valuable contribution to the company and I have NO issues with their actions on this or any other day.

I want to be fair with my staff and discussing my policies with others gives me a range of points of view to consider. I have no real training in business management but now run a business with 8 full time staff and half a dozen free lancers. I am utilising the forum to gather views of others so I can have policies in place that can are deemed reasonable....

You definitely need a set policy to start, I'd suggest a set number of hours/days emergency leave and a fixed rate of pay, i.e. 5 emergencies per year, 1st 2 hours paid, that adds up to roughly 1 days pay per employee per year. Employee responsible for arranging their transport.

That isn't to say you can't then decide to go above and beyond the above depending on the nature of the emergency (immediate family member rushed to hospital do to accident/sudden illness etc I'd personally take them and to hell with the work), you can always go the extra mile for a valued employee but there should be a minimum they can expect, that way everyone knows where they stand.

Just my view.

Edited by R Mac

Heres what I think, in general that is..

If you employ someone for a day or week or any length of time, you've committed to a responsibility..

in part your gambling on a risk assessment of your staff, so if that risk ends up costing time money or any number of other variables then its a risk you yourself took on..

Which could mean, whether its a taxi home, everyone downing tools or any other contingency its down to you to do the right thing...

Now considering you employ so many people, I'd be googling things like work place ethics..

case law studies.

How to keep a work force happy..

That sort of thing.. whats the saying, you be good to your workers, an they'll be good to you...

I pjt pay for a cab to take then home as one its the quickest way and two the job can still go on, if it was a genuine emergency then I probably wouldn't expect anything for the fair, then again if the worker was genuine he would not want paying that days wage in extange for me helping him out ( thats what id do if I was the worker) but if it was aload of bullshit then id be pissed!!