Why does tree work pay so bad in comparison to other trades?

RexPayne

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the nature of it, dragging branches and cutting them to size for the chipper, some cross cutting, use some lopping tools, for that pay.. It's up to you to lift yourself out of the position and grow in to a more suitable situation. There is a lot of guys out there with chipper/chainsaw tickets to do the job. The most important is to have a motivated climber. You pay the climber more and the ground workers less to be able to afford a good climber.

That's the nature of it, dragging branches and cutting them to size for the chipper, some cross cutting, use some lopping tools, for that pay.. It's up to you to lift yourself out of the position and grow in to a more suitable situation. There is a lot of guys out there with chipper/chainsaw tickets to do the job. The most important is to have a motivated climber. You pay the climber more and the ground workers less to be able to afford a good climber.

Not spoiling for a debate. You do need a good effective climber.

A numpty groundie can make the best climber look an idiot.

A brilliant groundie makes half an astonishing team.

Often the groundie is under valued.

Back to original topic.

Plenty of money to be made in tree work if willing to work hard do the hours as own boss.

Sadly like many enterprises the employee can be greedy.

Some employers do however treat staff well. It's getting the right place.

The other thing to consider is a lot of the general public look at us as a industry as nothing but glorified gardeners :sneaky2:

Yep. Half Neanderthal, half hippy, manual worker.

Hardly surprising really. I've been in this game near on 20 years now and its pretty common place for workers in general to be pretty scruffy, rough and ready, swearing at the top of their lungs from the tree tops in peoples gardens etc, and then moan that we aren't viewed as professionals?

I think that some people expect to start a job and be paid a fortune after they see what the boss charges for jobs. Not realising the time money and effort it takes to get a business up and running to the point where you can afford to pay staff.

It's a long hard road.

The boss deserves to stand back a bit.

He should however pay a decent wage to decent people as that is the best way to keep them and move forward.

Interesting thread.

Money can be made in the industry but like others have said you need to run your own show or get in with the right company and push yourself to get more tickets and licences.

I as it stands am on pretty poor money for the role I play, but am not here to complain as the way I see it it's like it or lump it, nothing gets on my nerves more than people moping around all day complaining about crap wages and long hours (if it's that bad you can leave, it's your right as a human being).

I'm planning on getting my C1+B licence so when I go and sub for companies I have that to bring to the table on top of my experience in leading roles and climbing.

I didn't think the driver should get paid more until someone I worked with in a previous company had an accident and had to pay for his mistake by paying off the damage done over several months, ended up costing them more than a grand in total. I think if you run a company you run the risk of things like traffic accidents happening and you should not expect them to fork out for it, or pay them more if you do.

But perviously mentioned someone said if you crash in a company truck your premium goes up on your insurance, this isn't true as far as I'm aware. It's company's insurance, there issue. The diver will however have to take points or fines on speeding offences.

This is a good debate and one I will keep a keen eye on as it relative to what I am planning on doing with my life over the next year.

I think that some people expect to start a job and be paid a fortune after they see what the boss charges for jobs. Not realising the time money and effort it takes to get a business up and running to the point where you can afford to pay staff.

It's a long hard road.

The boss deserves to stand back a bit.

He should however pay a decent wage to decent people as that is the best way to keep them and move forward.

This is spot on, I worked with a guy not that long ago, fresh out of collage and expected £120 a day, and he said if he doesn't get it the company can sod off, he was a complete idiot but the reason he thought that way was because whoever he did his training with had told him to expect £120 a day. It's fine for a climber with experience but not for a young lad who thinks he knows everything and won't get out on the tips of branches because he knows better than someone who has been climber for several years and the branch will snap.... The branch didn't snap