Songs I Am Listening To

Old Monkey

5 hours ago, Stubby said:

I'm glad you posted that spaceman coz I have a question . On the word " joke " there is a chord , a sorta suspended chord , I think its only played once but is very effective . Any one know what it is . Also thank god Bob Dylan wrote it or we would never have been treated to this excellent cover or indeed Jims . 

He is playing B A and G so suspect it will be based on the G chord but no idea exactly what it is.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, spudulike said:

He is playing B A and G so suspect it will be based on the G chord but no idea exactly what it is.

Hendrix nearly always tuned a semitone down and on the electric ladyland version to play it in the same key on a normally tuned guitar it's C A# g#,     if down a step it's C# B A

I see from looking that it gets played and taught in various keys.

Interestingly enough ' ultimate guitar ' has it in the chords search Bm A G and in standard tuning  

Their bass tab is tuned down a half step so in C#m so up a full note on the neck, and the tab for the 3 guitar parts are in the same key.

Obviously it can be played in any key that suits your voice but if you're trying to learn JImi's style or playing with a lead guitarist who wants to emulate Hendrix then it won't work playing it in the wrong part of the neck.

My take on the half step down is that it allows the use of heavier strings and or much more flexibility in bending, I can't remember Jimi's string gauges but I know that SRV used a right mixture with some quite heavy  5th and 6th mixed with more bendable 123 and 4 and also tuned down.

I remember from before that one of the guitars we have is the same model, Yamaha apx.. I really like mine, I can hammer the shit out of it without making too much noise in the house and when it's plugged in it ceases to be an acoustic and I really like the neck.

Obviously I've no idea what strings you use, but I can highly recommend Ernie Ball Earthwood ph- bronze 10-52 with a plain 17 G .. Light top, Heavy bottom, very common😁

• Like 1