Call out fees for sole operators

flatyre

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes of course but employing people isn't as easy as people think, especially those who have never done it.

I agree Ian. We've done it in the past, never again!

I plod about on me self now, if I need a lift I've got an old boy that I used to work with on the Water Board that comes and gives me a hand.:thumbup1:

I agree Ian. We've done it in the past, never again!

I plod about on me self now, if I need a lift I've got an old boy that I used to work with on the Water Board that comes and gives me a hand.:thumbup1:

Best way in many ways Eggs, nice to have people that you know will be thete (mostly) but it can be bloody frustrating at times.

when you've spent your whole working life busting your balls to make some other bast**d rich and getting paid minimum wage for the privilege, making a couple of hundred a day topping conifers for yourself is easy money. It's just as dangerous for an employed tree surgeon, but a lot less profitable! I know a lot of you guys are employers but I think its criminal what climbers and groundsmen get. Sorry but I've been there. Rant over:thumbup:

Employers struggle to pay more because are competing with people topping conifers for a coupe of hundred a day.

maybe you could put that right them and employ someone and see whats its like!

Is employing staff more hassle than its worth?

Not trying to get any ones back up, apologies if I did, but round here climbers get as little as £80 a day and grounds men get £60. That's not a lot for operating such dangerous equipment at dangerous heights. And yes their employers all drive swanky big motors and live in swanky big houses, so no-one is going to tell me that such poor wages are a result of low profit margins. The simple fact is young lads like the game as its more exciting that sitting at a desk or stacking shelves in Tesco (both of whom pay more!) And will do it for peanuts which many employers take advantage of. But when like me you have a family to feed, excitement doesn't pay the bills, a decent wage that reflects the dangers of the job does.

Employers struggle to pay more because are competing with people topping conifers for a coupe of hundred a day.

Are those people not allowed to earn a crust too? if they paid for the certificates and insurances and equipment, should they not be entitled to have the profits of their own sweat go into their own pockets?

Too many employers talk like the whole business should be split between them and a few select friends and no-one else is allowed a bite at the apple, banging on about the competition which they are part of. Like going on holiday and complaining about all the bloody tourists!

Are those people not allowed to earn a crust too? if they paid for the certificates and insurances and equipment, should they not be entitled to have the profits of their own sweat go into their own pockets?

Too many employers talk like the whole business should be split between them and a few select friends and no-one else is allowed a bite at the apple, banging on about the competition which they are part of. Like going on holiday and complaining about all the bloody tourists!

If they paid for all equipment they would be self employed or sub contracting wouldn't they?

The equipment and responsibility is why business owners make more money.

Hi Skychuck ,I was topping Conifers for a couple hundred yesterday....i have insurance and tickets but work on my own ,its a free market out there .

My overheads are low so I can keep my prices down hey ho.

Ste

Guys I don't want to argue with any of you, you have given me good advice during my time on the forum which I appreciate. I respect your opinions, and will assume things are tighter where you are. I can only base my opinions on what its like here, and over here the owners make big money, and wages for employees do not reflect the dangers of the job. some of the local firms send squads with vehicles and equipment over to England on a weekly basis, and the Irish sea is the most expensive stretch of water to cross, plus the cost of accommodation etc. so there must be enough profit to make it worthwile. if these employers head off to richer pastures I have no problem filling the void left by their departure. Again sorry for getting hot headed, I apologise.