Ideas

Bird

Very interesting thread for me this. I'm 25, got a 4 year old boy, mortgage, lass, car, bills etc. etc. to pay for and also thinking about setting up on my own. However, I currently work for a company and get paid a very decent wage that, combined with our lasses wage, gives us a fair amount of spending money each!

Knock the mortgage on the head before you jump. I was broke all the time till the mortgage was paid, at the end I was only paying £300/month but that became spending money.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I made a choice 20 years ago with working up to retirement age in mind. I am employed now and I earn a good living because I have a skill that my employer will pay

a premium for. You can succeed either way.

I did this 8 years ago, in real terms I'm making about the same as when times were good 30 years ago but I was only getting brash dragging jobs and timber selling wasn't doing any good.

Was due to retire at Xmas, a bit early but my younger brothers have already stopped work but need to put a little more in the pension pot or die early.

I work 8-4:30 at my fathers business doing gardening and general maintenance and that's Monday to Friday! On weekends I have 2-3 gardens I maintain and do them so they are ticking over nicely! I sell a bit of firewood but not had huge numbers of people for it yet due me not advertising a great deal.

I'm wanting to make more money and ideas??

I work hard and try hard but feel I should be getting a lot more for the effort I put in, granted I'm only 23 but I still feel I should be doing better than I am!!

Hi mate

Happy new year. I don't know how well you get on with you're old man or what it's like working for him.

Here's some food for thought....

I do some fundraising work alongside the tree work and other stuff I'm involved with. One of my recent acquaintances in the fundraising side of things is a guy who started off much like you are, working for his old mans building firm. Started small but stayed faithful to the firm and slowly but surely built a stake in it. His old man past away years ago and this guy carried on building the firm. He is now semi retired and just involves himself in the things he really enjoys doing. The company he built with his old man and then inherited is now the largest privately owned construction firm in The Midlands with a turnover of £30m per year. This guy is obviously minted but he is also life rich, doing lots of cool stuff that he really enjoys doing and puts back into the community as well.

What I am trying to say is; don't be too quick to part company with your old man, you never know where it may take you given time and hard work. Hope it works out for you mate.

If you ain't made ya money by now you never will.

Happy new year, one and all.

Too right sunshine, I'd say you need to be well on the road by 30 and not much chance after 40.

Being 64 and commercially inept I have to accept the scraps from your table :001_smile:

Wishing a happy and maybe prosperous new year to all