Homemade log processor saw issues

Chipy

Does anyone know of any company's that would sell me the parts to build a saw and I'd then have to put them together? I've already tried Riko, Caledonian forestry services, fuelwood, JASP Wilson and four seasons fuel. Know one seemed keen but not sure why, seems simple to me. The only thing I would want before hand is the oil flow and pressure requirement for the motor so I know if my digger hydraulics will run it. I've been put off harvesting head saws because these require 200lpm to run them which I know I'm no where near but until I find someone to test my digger for me in Cumbria then I won't know.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have 2 options, many hydraulic saws lube the chain by means of a case drain, this would need a relatively simple amount of engineering.

The second option would be to fit a small tank and feed the oil through gravity

My preference would probably be for the latter

Yeh I was thinking the latter also. Is there a danzco saw dealer in the uk?

Another question...... Do any manufacturers use hardox steel for there splitting axes? Guy building mine is redoing the axe and said he was going to use hardox again and it took ages to grind the sharp edges on the blades so I thought about buying a loading shovel bucket blade and cut it to the lengths we need, that way the edge is already on it!

• 3 weeks later...

I got hold of a pressure and flow tester and put it on the saw pipes and we found there was 1000 pounds of back pressure so we put a larger pipe on the return line and got rid of most the back pressure. I also got new seals put in the motor of the saw but when we tried it again today the seal immediately popped out so we decided to give up with the saw because it's starting to cost me a lot and it's obviously got other issues with it. When we tested the hydraulics we had 70 litre/minute of flow and 2300 psi so I think I've enough to run a hydraulic saw I just need to find one. I have someone currently pricing the parts for a saw up so fingers crossed its not silly money and I can finally have my processor working

I got hold of a pressure and flow tester and put it on the saw pipes and we found there was 1000 pounds of back pressure so we put a larger pipe on the return line and got rid of most the back pressure. I also got new seals put in the motor of the saw but when we tried it again today the seal immediately popped out so we decided to give up with the saw because it's starting to cost me a lot and it's obviously got other issues with it. When we tested the hydraulics we had 70 litre/minute of flow and 2300 psi so I think I've enough to run a hydraulic saw I just need to find one. I have someone currently pricing the parts for a saw up so fingers crossed its not silly money and I can finally have my processor working

if it blows the seal out i would say you still have excessive back pressure is the return filter choked or possibly not big enough

I believe I said this before

Your flow and pressure are more than the saw can handle by a substantial factor, it should have been the first thing you upgraded