Homemade log processor saw issues

Chipy

Volvo EC-25 ours is.

Only have a hydraulic 2 way ram for the thumb on the auxiliary to pick up / hold logs going onto the processor, seems to work that quite quickly.....

You maybe able to increase the flow on your 3rd service by some hidden away valve / knob on the machine....

I used to deliver plant hire equipment, and have been told this by several plant fitters. Different attachments - different flow rates etc, so maybe yours could be turned down somewhere??

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Volvo EC-25 ours is.

Only have a hydraulic 2 way ram for the thumb on the auxiliary to pick up / hold logs going onto the processor, seems to work that quite quickly.....

You maybe able to increase the flow on your 3rd service by some hidden away valve / knob on the machine....

I used to deliver plant hire equipment, and have been told this by several plant fitters. Different attachments - different flow rates etc, so maybe yours could be turned down somewhere??

if your digger is stalling already you aint going to get anymore oomph out of it without it stalling you have limited off power unless there is a problem with your digger i.e. engine problem the pump on it will regulate to keep the engine rpm at the selected speed if you don't know what your doing i would suggest getting in somebody that does

I've taken saw to bits and pushed seals back in which had popped out but it was a bit too easy pushing them in so il find out tomorrow whether or not there going to stay in. I've also borrowed someone's testing kit so tomorrow il be able to see what psi digger is kicking out etc and I can easily work out litres per minute by pumping oil into a bucket and timing it etc. When saw was in bits I also noticed motor looked quite worn and so I'm starting to look at alternatives. Is a circular saw going to do the job? Can't find any on eBay so does anyone know of any that will do a 20" log? Someone's suggested a band saw but I've never seen one on a processor before nor a hydraulic one?

'Keep it Simple'

'Get it working well then working fast'

Most of the chainsaw processors I've seen rotate the bar around a pivot and have a handle over the top that the operator draws down to make the cut. Surely that's much more straightforward and less 'numb' than a spring or ram with no feedback or sensitivity? Especially as the flow sounds marginal at best....

EDIT: if you really don't want to get the grinder and welder out, and are stuck with your straight vertical movement, why don't you put a spring on as the return and have a cord attached to a foot pedal as the downstroke. Less hydraulic gubbins and a decent bit of sensitivity?

Edited by wills-mill

Will the amount of oil going into a ram reduce the flow that much?

I bet it wont hold 1L in total & it will only get added slowly over the cutting time.

Say reducing the flow by sub 0.5L/min.

I would power it down & up via a user controlled level to adjust cut speed to suit.

I've taken saw to bits and pushed seals back in which had popped out but it was a bit too easy pushing them in so il find out tomorrow whether or not there going to stay in. I've also borrowed someone's testing kit so tomorrow il be able to see what psi digger is kicking out etc and I can easily work out litres per minute by pumping oil into a bucket and timing it etc. When saw was in bits I also noticed motor looked quite worn and so I'm starting to look at alternatives. Is a circular saw going to do the job? Can't find any on eBay so does anyone know of any that will do a 20" log? Someone's suggested a band saw but I've never seen one on a processor before nor a hydraulic one?

you need a flow meter not a bucket as an excavator pumps flow rate is worked at pressure i.e 50l/m at 2000 psi so if you don't have a restriction to get your pressure up you will get a false reading

'Keep it Simple'

'Get it working well then working fast'

Most of the chainsaw processors I've seen rotate the bar around a pivot and have a handle over the top that the operator draws down to make the cut. Surely that's much more straightforward and less 'numb' than a spring or ram with no feedback or sensitivity? Especially as the flow sounds marginal at best....

EDIT: if you really don't want to get the grinder and welder out, and are stuck with your straight vertical movement, why don't you put a spring on as the return and have a cord attached to a foot pedal as the downstroke. Less hydraulic gubbins and a decent bit of sensitivity?

The whole of the machine is operated from in the digger which is why it's hydraulic

you need a flow meter not a bucket as an excavator pumps flow rate is worked at pressure i.e 50l/m at 2000 psi so if you don't have a restriction to get your pressure up you will get a false reading

Yeh I know I need a flow meter but don't know anyone with one to borrow so all I've got is the pressure tester for now but will keep asking around for a flow meter