The great big carrier bag scam

Steve Bullman

Maybe the smaller stores should offer a reusable bag with their company logo on the outside. This would create brand awareness and additional loyalty for these smaller stores and not have the customers pay the extortion fee per bag.

easy-lift guy

I was at a print shop last week organising some new work clothes and they were putting a display in the window of cloth bags that they are starting to sell. To have them printed with logo etc.

So it may be starting to happen already.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So what if a customer was to shop with their own bag for groceries?. Is that permitted or is there another charge some where down the line?. We can bring our own bags to shop with or the stores furnish for free here stateside. Except maybe California where most of the population is very regulated and taxed daily into oblivion.

easy-lift guy

I thought the idea was to encourage people to use their own bags in order to cut down on the pollution caused by abandoned plastic bags . Its working with me anyways .

Jayzus how can the govt have made such a complicated bollox of the thing. Here in Ireland we've had a bag levy for many years ,not sure of the number but could easily be 10. None of this some businesses but not others, or some products but not others kak. Its just an outright up front, everyone knows it, charge. Works simple and we all know where we stand and what to expect. Because its a blanket coverage there's none of this what if ......rubbish , its just a straightforward pay for a bag or use your own, or one of the boxes the shops provide, thus saving themselves a disposal charge.

Many times we criticise the govt here, but they got it right with this one ,unlike your load of muppets.

And yes I am a brit living outside. I read the BBC news and am so frequently glad I got out.

Brilliant!

I'd offer the suggestion that the situation in GB needs to be different for each of the constituent parts in order that the dominant part maintains its superiority over the subordinate parts thus maintaining the subjection of the dominion!

Well to the extent of my knowledge ......which is very very limited shopping wise . You get free bags at Primark because they are made of paper ? Also bags are normally free at card shops and the like . My good lady bought our dog a new bed for Christmas from a large pet retailer .....and they said because the bag had no handles it was free ? ......:confused1:

I buy the bags with the intention of reusing them. The good bags. Then I realise my cupboard is filling up with them. So I pull them out and put them by the front door in the house so I know I will take them on the way out. Still, I accumulate more bags. So I put them in my car and my boot is full of them with the intention of reusing them. I get to the self service till and it asks me how many bags I've used. 'Crap' i think, 'my bloody boot is full of them'. So I think about walking out to the car to grab a bag or two but then think 'what the heck, it's only 5p'. So my bag pile just keeps getting bigger. I have started using them to take food to work in the last week so hopefully my bag pile will reduce

Edited by justo7