Domestic Biomass CH

muldonach

We have a reasonably sized 4 bedroom house - part modern built and part older structure, insulation is reasonable to good and we have heated it using a Hunter 20 multifuel for the last 23 years using nothing but timber.

The stove is coming to the end of its life and I am starting to think of a replacement and would like to incorporate a buffer tank to allow for timed central heating and hopefully a warm house in the mornings as well as the evenings.

House is in a village street and is detached - I have enough space to build an extension on to the gable if necessary.

We have our own timber supply but not really enough space for a woodchip hopper so prefer to stick with logs and a stove in the lounge

Any of you chaps done anything similar and have any recommendations or tips / pitfalls etc.

cheers

mac

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have a reasonably sized 4 bedroom house - part modern built and part older structure, insulation is reasonable to good and we have heated it using a Hunter 20 multifuel for the last 23 years using nothing but timber.

The stove is coming to the end of its life and I am starting to think of a replacement and would like to incorporate a buffer tank to allow for timed central heating and hopefully a warm house in the mornings as well as the evenings.

House is in a village street and is detached - I have enough space to build an extension on to the gable if necessary.

We have our own timber supply but not really enough space for a woodchip hopper so prefer to stick with logs and a stove in the lounge

Any of you chaps done anything similar and have any recommendations or tips / pitfalls etc.

cheers

mac

yep similar set up to ours went for eta 40 kw with a storage tank and got rhi on it

Fitted Solar Focus Therminator 2 log boiler with a optional pellet hopper on the side of it. The only thing I would say is use some one local and ask to see some of there installations and to speak to some of there customers. The Company I used are 25 miles away and can operate the boiler from there office and I stand in front of it on the phone telling them if various components are clicking or not! Not Cheap mind but the best thing I have done as my house used to be heated with a Stanley range and a Hunter Herald 14. The days of getting up in the cold and getting the fires lit before the kids got up are long gone!! Good luck

Fitted Solar Focus Therminator 2 log boiler with a optional pellet hopper on the side of it. The only thing I would say is use some one local and ask to see some of there installations and to speak to some of there customers. The Company I used are 25 miles away and can operate the boiler from there office and I stand in front of it on the phone telling them if various components are clicking or not! Not Cheap mind but the best thing I have done as my house used to be heated with a Stanley range and a Hunter Herald 14. The days of getting up in the cold and getting the fires lit before the kids got up are long gone!! Good luck

Totally agree! Lots of duffer outfits jumped on the band-wagon and don't have the depth of knowledge necessary for correct set to work and system optimisation not to mention follow-on support. Take lots of care selecting choice of system and installer :thumbup1:

Interesting discussion on wireless yesterday. As a consequence of Paris climate talks - apparently there may be a government aspiration to phase out (completely) gas fired boilers and cookers within 15 years!

Gas fitters, boiler / cooker manufacturers, shares in British Gas etc - probably not a great investment right now???

Hmmmm?

In which case "they" may have to increase the amount of the "counterfactual" KwHr payment, specially now that fossil fuels have become so much cheaper.

I will therefore wait (cos we in NI only get sommat like 5.6p/KwHr currently) cos hey, our oil was more expensive (than mainland natural gas) therefore we were deemed to require less encourgament to switch to Biomass.

Marcus

We've a Perge 30KW log boiler with 2500lt accumulator which is situated in the garage; its a new 4 bed room house with UFH downstairs and radiators upstairs & an unvented HW tank in the house feed from the accumulator. During the summer one burn every 4 days was sufficient for hot water, currently burning once a day (a full load then a top up) for all hot water and heating.

Very happy with the system, house very warm and loads of hot water, but we buy in cord & process all our own logs, otherwise it would be expensive.

Supplied by Cairngorm Stoves in Grantown on Spey, very good service.

TC

Edited by tcar

One of the missus cleaning customers has had an eco angus log system fitted into part of their steading and a monster of a tank, you are more than welcome to come and see the e classic 3200 we have, sits outside, and I know corsock househas a e classic 2400 feeding 2 houses.

Just a word of warning about remote control of biomass boilers. It's best to control it in the flesh as it is difficult to see remotely what the fire is doing. We had damage done to ours when it was controlled from Austria. If I knew then what I know now I wouldn't have allowed it.

Local is best and a visit is worth the extra if it is a setup issue.