mix yew and what wood for table

Dean O

I've put some yew logs to one side to mill - but it turns out I don't think I have enough to make the design I have in mind (a coffee table).

the end grain of the top of the legs (as well as the legs themselves will be visible) as part of the design.

I would like a contrasting timber.

I have some ash or some oak which could supply me with what I need

what timber would you use/ have you used

any pics?

thanks

Dean

Brown.

ha ha - OK should have said - not sure how much heartwood there is in the elm I have ... ie might have a high proportion of sapwood.

walnut would be a nice compliment.

re comment regarding oak - yes makes me think end grain of ash might be a bit soft compared to the yew.

maybe beech?

I've put some yew logs to one side to mill - but it turns out I don't think I have enough to make the design I have in mind (a coffee table).

the end grain of the top of the legs (as well as the legs themselves will be visible) as part of the design.

I would like a contrasting timber.

I have some ash or some oak which could supply me with what I need

what timber would you use/ have you used

any pics?

thanks

Dean

if the yew is nice and orange then i would go for one of the maples as it contrasts excellently.

I am a bit puzzled when you say you have a few bits of Yew to mill yet not enough for a coffee table ?! .... however I have found that black goes well with Yew , so scorching of some Ash or Oak would work well , after scorching the wood with a blowlamp , scrub well with a stiff brush and then apply danish oil and it comes up a treat ......practice on a few small bits first though !!