Ladders for tree work

stihlmadasever

Hey all,

Id like to know your opinions on using ladders in tree work.

Im of the opinion ladders are ok to use to access the tree as long as they are roped onto the tree and the climber is anchored into the tree also.

Im against using a chainsaw when on ladders and using ladders that are not attached to the tree.Opinions in my van are split!

Opinions/ storys appreciated

OK for quick access up to a first branch or similar at usual safe working height for the ladder - but no use when work positioning is required and should be kept back at the yard.

Wouldn't want to be on one with using a saw - opposing forces potentially causing a push back off the ladder...

Not surprisingly, my contribution includes AFAG 401:

Ladders

Check ladders for defects before use (refer to the manufacturer’s instructions). See

‘Further reading’ for more advice.

Ladders are normally only used as a means of access into the crown of the tree.

Once the climber is secured to the tree by rope/lanyard and harness, the ladder

should be removed.

Position the base of the ladder at a distance approximately one-quarter the height

of the ladder, away from a vertical line dropped from the point of contact with the

tree. The unsupported part of the ladder must not touch any obstructions, even

when loaded with the climber’s weight.

Incorporate a non-slip or stabilising base on the ladder and secure the ladder

appropriately, either by attaching a rope from the tree to the ladder base or by

having a member of the ground staff foot the ladder.

Where possible, pre-install a climbing line to safeguard the ladder ascent. If this is

not possible, the climber needs to be secured to the tree before leaving the top of

the ladder, or carrying out any other work.

AND the industry ICOP:

2.8.2 Ladder

The use of ladders or steps must be restricted to low risk, short duration tasks, such as accessing the lower portion

of the tree canopy in order to begin a staged ascent or limited duration access for hedge trimming. If ladders are to be

used for tasks which require the user to be ‘hands free’, the operative should ensure they are also correctly anchored

into the tree structure. If the task requires working from a ladder for extended periods of time, another work method

must be considered.

Accessing a tree to make access quicker. If I've some on a job will sometimes use them to access then have them moved. I also have no issue using them to crown raise trees if I have several to do in a line and it is only small growth. They have there place usually though for me that place is back at the yard

The thing is to ratchet the things in once positioned.

I learned my lesson a few years back when a crappy little branch knocked my ladder from under me..

If I do hedge work I use those expensive tripod ladders, worth every penny if not for the stability then the peace of mind why on top of em..

I ruined a customers step ladders once, couldn't be bothered climbing back down and took a chance they would be OK, cut a heavy branch, fell down and crushed his step ladders.

Put em back in his shed before he noticed hahaha... I still feel terrible for that one..

ladders are OK in my book to get into the canopy , a bonus from the H&S point of view , if you can save energy so that you are fresh when in the canopy no brainer . BUT no working from ladders , that gives me the hebbe gebbes , I just don't feel safe working on a ladder , that's what ropes are for .