Defender alternative - Ranger?

Sixstar

I predict we will see a lot of threads in this Vein..:001_rolleyes:

A lot of folks pretty cheesed of with LR for dropping defender and no replacement till 2018 at earliest.

Even Mountain Rescue round here are starting to use the Converted Hi-lUx's.

Like you say Defenders are great fun but not moved on and everyone else is catching up fast. I tried to pre-order the "new" one (Dc100 etc) and got told not possible have no info etc:001_rolleyes:

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The price defenders are going for now I'd put my money on a GWagon if I wanted the ultimate off road truck... Even buy an old 4 door and convert it to a flat bed tipper , the chassis and transmission are massively superior the old ones are just let down by crap engines so it would have a merc sprinter engine installed.. Sadly I would not have the time to do this!

I do get all nostalgic about land pigs though and think another would be great but I spend 5 minutes in one and remember why I sold my last 90.

Landrover do a job, basic but hard as nails compared to modern plastic trucks, they are a total different ball game to ranger etc, chalk and cheese. My defender has its place as does the ranger. It's pointless comparing them. If I want to go and pull a big butt over or go working in some rough ass places than the defender is my choice, if I wanna cruise around with air con on an in comfort it's time for the Ranger.

Landrover do a job, basic but hard as nails compared to modern plastic trucks, they are a total different ball game to ranger etc, chalk and cheese. My defender has its place as does the ranger. It's pointless comparing them. If I want to go and pull a big butt over or go working in some rough ass places than the defender is my choice, if I wanna cruise around with air con on an in comfort it's time for the Ranger.

I disagree, they're chalk and chalk, it's not pointless comparing them, they're both 4wd tow tugs, both used off road, you can pull a butt over just as well with your new ranger as your Land Rover, the only factor will be your tyres.

What I meant was for me, I won't be putting mud terrains on it, I won't be putting a winch on it, I won't be ragging it off road like I do the Landy coz that what I have the Landy for. I don't thing the ranger will be as tough as a defender though.

I got it last week, I know what you mean though, in a few months when the newness has worn off I will have to start using it. It toes the chipper well, and it's great not to drive around with the window down to get a bit more room:)

Had mine 2 years now. Only 2 issues had problem with a component braking in the front axle and slight rusting on rear doors where there some spot welds. All done under warranty. I have had 4 Landrovers in the past would not go back. I find it a fantastic tow motor. I ve towed a 3.5 to mewp and forgot I had it on. Best bit is the mpg I get 34 average and 42 on a long run.

Bliming incredible mpg figures :thumbup1::confused1: Never got more than 30 out of our D max and it averages nearer 25mpg

Yep... Ranger will pull 80mph all day in comfort and is moderate off road... LR will leave you tired on a long run however as said already great for hauling a load over a muddy field. Nothing beats the LR off road... :biggrin:

I disagree, they're chalk and chalk, it's not pointless comparing them, they're both 4wd tow tugs, both used off road, you can pull a butt over just as well with your new ranger as your Land Rover, the only factor will be your tyres.

Only if you can find a gear low enough :001_tt2:

I hate towing with my ranger, but love the comfort, quietness and smoother drive.

I have a D max on demo one day next week, one of the problems with Isuzu is no local dealer anymore.