Can anyone recommend a tyre inflator that runs on both 12v DC and mains AC?

sandspider

[ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cigarette-Lighter-Voltage-Converter-Adapter/dp/B00PUNIEI2/ref=pd_sim_263_3?ie=UTF8&dpID=51oMXlFOR7L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=1VTB05GJ27ER6JZKSPHA]240v Mains To 12V DC Cigarette Lighter Voltage Converter Power Adapter 10A SB12: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51oMXlFOR7L.@@AMEPARAM@@51oMXlFOR7L[/ame]

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers, I had seen that, but as I said, I don't really want to mess around with AC/DC converters. Waste of energy, heat, extra faff etc. Plus they're not cheap to buy - that one costs more than the pump!

12v dc and 230v ac obviously are totally different motors. You need an inverter or transformer/rectifier to change voltages depending on which way you go. Whether it is built in or separate it will be expensive. Why not get one of each?

The AC would almost certainly have more output and the DC portable. The cost of the two would almost certainly be cheaper than a dual voltage machine even in the unlikely event you could find one.

Edited by cornish wood burner

Ive had one of these for a year and its been excellent, didnt get from the link though.

Has got enough oomph to blow out chainsaws as well but wont run off cigar lighter cos it draws too much current.

[ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ring-Automotive-RAC900-Heavy-Duty-Accessories/dp/B000W08QZY]Ring Automotive RAC900 Heavy-Duty Air Compressor and Accessories Incl. Storage Bag: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51zl%2B4GNRwL.@@AMEPARAM@@51zl%2B4GNRwL[/ame]

What's wrong with a footpump - fine for occasional use!

I'm too lazy! :001_tt2:

Ive had one of these for a year and its been excellent, didnt get from the link though.

Has got enough oomph to blow out chainsaws as well but wont run off cigar lighter cos it draws too much current.

Ring Automotive RAC900 Heavy-Duty Air Compressor and Accessories Incl. Storage Bag: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

That looks similar to the one in my first link. And some of the reviews did say that it blows the fuse in the cigarette lighter socket...

Got mine from here, it cost about a fiver more because I wasnt a member.

Ring 12 Volt Heavy-Duty Air Compressor - Model RAC900 | Costco UK -

Cheers, will have a look.

My advice would be to look at the run times of these inflators and make sure you spend more than £50 on one. We have melted dozens of the cheapys over a period of time, I bought a load to chuck in the works trucks and the lot are knackered. I checked on the max run times afterwards and some are 3 minutes which is about enough time to pump up a barrow tyre.:thumbdown:

Bob

My advice would be to look at the run times of these inflators and make sure you spend more than £50 on one. We have melted dozens of the cheapys over a period of time, I bought a load to chuck in the works trucks and the lot are knackered. I checked on the max run times afterwards and some are 3 minutes which is about enough time to pump up a barrow tyre.:thumbdown:

Bob

Only specs to duty cycle I can find, I have blown up a pair of flat weeks fergie trailer tyres which it did with ease but the cylinder does get hot .

Ring 12 Volt RAC900 Heavy Duty Air Compressor - Sheridan Marine