Archbishop of Canterbury doubts the presence of God!

the village idiot

I don't understand why it upsets you. Giving a name to any particular stance doesn't make it carry more or less weight. It just helps to clarify matters.

People who choose not to eat meat are termed vegetarians. This doesn't imply that meat eaters are necessarily better or right.

Surely the fact that non belief is called atheism is a total non-issue. Or am I totally missing something here?

Eating is something we all do, its part of life.

Why should there be an assumption that you believe in some magical figure?? its ridiculous.

Whats the name for those who don't believe in the Tooth fairy, Santa, the Easter Bunny, the Boggy Man???………………….Oh yes adults:001_rolleyes:

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amongst my hobbies are... not playing chess, not scuba diving...

Unlike "not playing chess" or "not scuba diving" Atheism is a condition defined by what it denies. It can only exist in a world where the rules are set by believers, once belief in God disappears atheism ceases to have any meaning. Until that time non-believers will be known as atheists.

Unlike "not playing chess" or "not scuba diving" Atheism is a condition defined by what it denies. It can only exist in a world where the rules are set by believers, once belief in God disappears atheism ceases to have any meaning. Until that time non-believers will be known as atheists.

What about agnostics??

Unlike "not playing chess" or "not scuba diving" Atheism is a condition defined by what it denies. It can only exist in a world where the rules are set by believers, once belief in God disappears atheism ceases to have any meaning. Until that time non-believers will be known as adults.

ftfy

??

So what will happen to not playing chess when chess disappears then

All this talk about God and belief and stuff just made me remember a guy who's podcasts I used to listen to while raking up after strimming. Robert M Price. Im gonna post the link to his podcast site, I found his stuff really interesting, a true scholar. Ex Baptist minister, turned Atheist, picks the bible apart in a very interesting way....

http://www.thehumanbible.net

What about agnostics??

As far as I can make out 'agnostic' was a term developed by THHuxley - a wonderful Victorian scientist and popularizer of science - to cover himself from the censure of his day when, if he had 'come out' as an atheist, his career would have over.

He defined it as believing in god but not in the power of god. It is essentially the same thing but meant he could describe the natural world in a way that didn't need magic pixies without actually saying huh, shock horror, grasp those pearls ladies, there is no god.

Otherwise its atheism light; atheism for those who aren't sure:biggrin: