Saw mill in Hampshire area

jamesd

By workbench do you mean general purpose tools and oily stuff etc?

I have some cheap poplar which makes good tops as it is very stable and doesn't splinter but no idea how I would get it to you.

I suggest you need a bandsaw mill for those butts - I think Delabodge hired one not far from you.

Alec

yes just a general purpose workbench. I think you might be a bit far for me to collect it i'm afraid!

I might give delabodge a pm to see if i can find out who he used.

Thanks for the help!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a school of thought that your workbench should be very finely crafted. It should be your first big project and a great deal of effort can be outlayed. I have seen some stunning work benches over the years. Beech is ideal as a material for benches as it's very hard. Fence posts would look very shabby, very quickly.

So i think i've found someone who can come out with a portable mill and mill up some stems for me but i could do with a bit of advice on the best way to mill them to get the best out of the timber.

This is the Beech i have, i'm just a bit worried about the shakes/cracks in the end of the wood is this anything to worry about?

And how would you mill it? Its approx 2foot wide and 7foot long, and i have three of them.

DSC07988.jpg.68d0030d178695497ebaa1a7d649bf2e.jpg

DSC07987.jpg.978385ff914d2093732471838c86dba1.jpg

DSC07986.jpg.00a2f40383d42a579a9347ca9bca2d12.jpg

I also have some Oak which is currently standing dead.

But i'm not sure if it is worth milling here are a few pictures. Would it just be the sap wood affected and the heartwood would be ok? Should i just fell it and see what the middle is like?

As you can see on the first picture there is fungus on the tree which i'm not sure what it is. Would this affect the strength of the wood?

I have a range of sizes available from 1-3foot how would you mill them? I want to try and get a few decent sized posts from them so i presume that would have to be taken from the centre of the tree so its boxheart?

DSC07995.jpg.033b1360c67b8e3cd5edf295ea360407.jpg

DSC07994.jpg.945418ba501af74091db9dd99a9f3ae7.jpg

DSC07992.jpg.2179f17cf48e7b7d838c76819ebdb2a8.jpg

DSC07991.jpg.652b9ab99bed430f2fc08c0bb49b7a49.jpg