Age of climbing gear

jamesd

Don't worry about rope too much, we've got an old climbing rope that was retired about ten years ago, still used for lowering/ pulling occasionally and when had a breakdown recently it was used to pull a fully loaded transit about a mile to the yard!

I trapped my newish, lowering line under a tree recently and had to "unretire" my old big three strand bull rope for a week that I bought 20 years ago. We were pulling some significant trees over with a tractor, using a pulley as well so doubling the strain, even with a significant nick in it, that caused it to be retired.

Not knocking LOLER or safety generally, just saying.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I trapped my newish, lowering line under a tree recently and had to "unretire" my old big three strand bull rope for a week that I bought 20 years ago. We were pulling some significant trees over with a tractor, using a pulley as well so doubling the strain, even with a significant nick in it, that caused it to be retired.

Not knocking LOLER or safety generally, just saying.

I'm with you, I thinks there's a tad too much of throwing perfectly good stuff out before its needing replacing

Some proper pub advice going on here.:laugh1:

Good to see my ppe will last until the end of time if I get it indpected every 6months.:thumbup1:

In short the manufacture gives details on its life span, and a competent person should check every 6 months to see it's still serviceable.

In reality, it will be trashed well before 5 years at the best, you will only get your kit inspected when a good commercial contract is waiting for a signature and unless you have been mooring the QE2 most of your ppe will still be around long after a big fall than you will be. Unless you have an issue with the main attachment point on your harness which imo is the thing that should be checked the most.

Don't worry about rope too much, we've got an old climbing rope that was retired about ten years ago, still used for lowering/ pulling occasionally and when had a breakdown recently it was used to pull a fully loaded transit about a mile to the yard!

gives one great confidence in your rope doesn't it :thumbup1:

good to know, thanks

I like climbing the big trees just for practice. Sometimes if I'm in a paraniod mood the thing I worry about more is aluminium rings and carabiners- if one did have a crack in it, would it go if I wiped out on a high branch walk?

But all the tree climbing danger is nothing compared to thrashing a motorbike on the road - a lot of peoples choice of leisure.

But all the tree climbing danger is nothing compared to thrashing a motorbike on the road - a lot of peoples choice of leisure.

Good point there. I have no problem climbing a tree with just a bit of rope holding me up there but wouldn't catch me on a motorbike!

A pothole or patch of ice and it's game over!

Age is a contributory factor that will help a competent person form their decision during a thorough examination under the Loler regs.

Various manufacturers will suggest/ detail equipments recommended life span in the user instructions etc. Some examiners and/or employers will form their own 'cut off dates/ life spans' for software/ hardware etc.

Some examiners may take a more arbitrary approach than others and some a more pragmatic evidence based approach taking into consideration the construction method, fibre type, application, usage, environment of storage etc

Some climbers can destroy friction cord in a single descent, some of my clients have rescue kits stored in security sealed, rodent proof bags which are used inly once a year at most, i'd expect most of the later kit to have a service life well in excess of 5 years!

Certain components may more be susceptible to age related wear/ defects etc than others, some may be susceptible to developing age related defects that will not present themselves as visible, these are the only items that i find service life & age to be a significant factor in its-self.

I've tested allot of aged and degraded equipment to destruction, researched fibre types and methods of manufacture, reviewd existing research and been in dialogue with numerous manufacturers to understand how & why it is they've sugested certain service lifes etc. This data helps me make my decisions with confidence, others may choose a cheaper, more arbitrary approach and rely more heavily on manufacturers instruction documents and/or policies/ recommendations suggested by and devised by others.

Age is a contributory factor that will help a competent person form their decision during a thorough examination under the Loler regs.

Various manufacturers will suggest/ detail equipments recommended life span in the user instructions etc. Some examiners and/or employers will form their own 'cut off dates/ life spans' for software/ hardware etc.

Some examiners may take a more arbitrary approach than others and some a more pragmatic evidence based approach taking into consideration the construction method, fibre type, application, usage, environment of storage etc

Some climbers can destroy friction cord in a single descent, some of my clients have rescue kits stored in security sealed, rodent proof bags which are used inly once a year at most, i'd expect most of the later kit to have a service life well in excess of 5 years!

Certain components may more be susceptible to age related wear/ defects etc than others, some may be susceptible to developing age related defects that will not present themselves as visible, these are the only items that i find service life & age to be a significant factor in its-self.

I've tested allot of aged and degraded equipment to destruction, researched fibre types and methods of manufacture, reviewd existing research and been in dialogue with numerous manufacturers to understand how & why it is they've sugested certain service lifes etc. This data helps me make my decisions with confidence, others may choose a cheaper, more arbitrary approach and rely more heavily on manufacturers instruction documents and/or policies/ recommendations suggested by and devised by others.

interesting post, do you have links to any data on age, and wear and its effects on minimum breaking strains etc. good to see some in depth research on the subject, i feel its hard to learn much without the facility to test to destruction.

thanks carl

I know what you mean, it's been no small feat over the years, what colour the fibre is dyed even effects how quickly it ages, go figure? there's far too much out there to post a list and i really should be getting on with some work as it is. I'd highly recommend becoming a full member of ropelab it you wish to begin to understand things better, great resources!

LolerUK

Interesting stuff, like I said I' not an expert, but I'd like to know what criteria manufacturers use to mark their products end of use dates...

Five years seem to get mentioned a lot...

Is it based on sampling users who buy their equipment and finding most seem to replace at that date?.. or is it just a number that seems that it aught be about right?...

I mean, I'd be putting more stock on investigating the end user as much as the manufacturer.

Is this the type of fella to send a young lad up a tree with a thirty year old oily rope..

This ones the kind of fella who has his men tie off in three places before they get out the van :)