Trading Standards

Logsnstuff

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And don't get me started on those completely non-standard and incomparable measures of "a load" or "a pickup". I don't think there should be anything to stop people selling logs and delivering them in a trailer or pickup, but it's got to be clear to the customer what weight or volume they are buying.

I've said it on here before, I think logs should ideally be sold on by weight, with price adjusted on a net calorific value. That way, what is being paid for it what is actually useful, wet logs are worth less etc etc. This is exactly how industrial coal is sold on a bulk basis (the quoted API price references are adjusted for the actual NCV of the fuel when sampled and tested in a calorimeter, relative to the reference NCV of 25.121GJ/te), so coal with NCV of 26.5GJ per tonne would be priced at 26/25.121 of the quoted price.

And don't get me started on those completely non-standard and incomparable measures of "a load" or "a pickup". I don't think there should be anything to stop people selling logs and delivering them in a trailer or pickup, but it's got to be clear to the customer what weight or volume they are buying.

I've said it on here before, I think logs should ideally be sold on by weight, with price adjusted on a net calorific value. That way, what is being paid for it what is actually useful, wet logs are worth less etc etc. This is exactly how industrial coal is sold on a bulk basis (the quoted API price references are adjusted for the actual NCV of the fuel when sampled and tested in a calorimeter, relative to the reference NCV of 25.121GJ/te), so coal with NCV of 26.5GJ per tonne would be priced at 26/25.121 of the quoted price.

and how would you get that accurate when you do a bag of mixed species with diff calorific values.

Surely you can just weigh one bag of each weight and then sell each as having a minimum weight of xxxKG.

Big fuss over not much seems to me?

I'm afraid theres no room for guestimates with the weights and measures act. You will never be able to guarantee that minimum weight unless you use a bag full of balsa wood as your base measurement.

I'm afraid theres no room for guestimates with the weights and measures act. You will never be able to guarantee that minimum weight unless you use a bag full of balsa wood as your base measurement.

it's also what scales do you use if you want to go down the weight route, how often do they come and inspect them to see they are accurate the few people I have spoken too that used to do coal said pain in the backside.