6x4 flat bed metal trailer with removable sides?

sandspider

Hi all

Just wondering if anyone can recommend me a trailer. Mainly for dump runs, logs, collecting big bits of furniture etc. No commercial use, will probably only be used a handful of times a year. Looking for a metal trailer (galvanised so nothing rusts). Probably 6x4 or thereabouts (as I've not done much trailer pulling and don't want anything too big, too heavy or difficult to manoeuvre). The thing is, I want to have removable sides on it, so I can tie down big things when it's in flatbed mode, or fit the sides and fill it with logs, soil or whatever when necessary. Does such a trailer exist? I've had a Google, but can only find bigger flat bed trailers (7x5' ish) with removable sides.

I'd be looking second hand, budget probably a few hundred quid. Will I just have to get a bigger trailer and get used to towing it? I've only got a standard car licence, so think I'm limited to 750KG gross weight. So a lighter trailer would be better, but I imagine that comes at a cost.

Oh, one final advantage - would be great if it could be towed behind a compact tractor too. Standard towball on the car, don't own the tractor yet!

Discuss?! Many thanks.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We use an Ansemms PSX1300 for everything you describe and more. Its single axle and braked. Cost £900 used.

The aluminium sides can be completely removed. I used it like that for moving hundreds of our hay bales this year.... fitted about 40 bales on it.

Just need a 50mm towball fitted to your compact tractor and bobs your uncle....

Very highly recommended.

cheers, steve

If you can find a suitable small trailer, could you not make something yourself? Maybe not from metal but plywood is pretty strong.

An issue you might face is that you are limited by the wheel arches so removing the sides might not actually give you more capacity. Fitting greedy boards is easy enough for carrying logs, wood chip etc.

A standard pin hitch on the tractor will be fine.

acc029.gif

We use an Ansemms PSX1300 for everything you describe and more. Its single axle and braked. Cost £900 used.

The aluminium sides can be completely removed. I used it like that for moving hundreds of our hay bales this year.... fitted about 40 bales on it.

Just need a 50mm towball fitted to your compact tractor and bobs your uncle....

Very highly recommended.

cheers, steve

Thanks Steve. More than I was looking to spend, but does look like it would do the job. Hadn't really thought of a braked trailer, due to the cost and complexity.

If you can find a suitable small trailer, could you not make something yourself? Maybe not from metal but plywood is pretty strong.

An issue you might face is that you are limited by the wheel arches so removing the sides might not actually give you more capacity. Fitting greedy boards is easy enough for carrying logs, wood chip etc.

A standard pin hitch on the tractor will be fine.

acc029.gif

Cheers Spandit

Suppose I could just get a bigger flat bed trailer and craft some sort of sides to fit to it temporarily. Probably rather just buy a decent metal one rather than try and find time to make a (possibly not great!) job of it. Good point about the wheel arches - I suppose the wheels would need to go beneath the bed, so that the bed is properly flat with no arches rising above it.

What car are you going to tow it with ? Unless it's a decent size don't automatically assume you can tow 750kg unbraked with it. I have Granddad towing on my license being an old git and tow a trailer tent which is braked and it is easier to tow than my little unbraked 4' log trailer when it is loaded. This is with a Berlingo with 1100 kg braked towing limit.

With your standard Cat B licence & that car you might be able to go as high as a 1500kg MAM trailer.

You cant have a car & trailer combination of up to 3500kg GTW (thats the MAM of the car & the MAM of the trailer added together).

Or a car up to 3500kg & a 750kg trailer.

Do you know the MAM of the car?

The kerb weight is about 1500kg So I would expect it to be about 2000-2100kg.

That leaves 1400-1500kg for the trailer.