teeside biomass 300mw

Busy Daddy

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The pound is too strong at the moment really. Great for us if we are importing equipment, but that is about it.

The larger softwood mills have apparently cut back production up here which has pushed up the price of chipwood around here. Was £32 a tonne delivered last year, more like £35-36 now.

Oh dear, the problem isn't the value of currency, but the economics of burning woodchip...

At the moment its being subsidized..

throwing good money after bad,,its like buying diesel from some bodger down the road for 2 pound a litre, rather than buying from the forecourt for 120p a litre...

If woodchip is going begging in Britain, then perhaps someone might look into what else can be done with it that makes economic sense..

Just read that the MGT power station at teeside has just passed the last hurdle before construction starts on the 300mw plant

It will use an estimated 2.5 million tonnes of woodchip

Good I here you ask , maybe another outlet for our forestry , but no it is to be sourced from the US and Europe no mention of british woodchip

Also in gent west Belgium they are starting to build a 215mw biomass plant early 2016 the biggest in Belgium

Which will cover a 5ha site located near the e40 main European highway

So coupled with the new one at Teesside in a couple of years these two will swallow up nearly 5 million tonnes :thumbup::thumbup:

Edited by shavey

Oh dear, the problem isn't the value of currency, but the economics of burning woodchip...

At the moment its being subsidized..

throwing good money after bad,,its like buying diesel from some bodger down the road for 2 pound a litre, rather than buying from the forecourt for 120p a litre...

If woodchip is going begging in Britain, then perhaps someone might look into what else can be done with it that makes economic sense..

Not totally correct. When we installed our first biomass boiler and converted from oil to wood our fuel cost halved

You say timber is going begging, for 2 years I have been trying to find a reliable cord supplier that will supply me with first thinnings at a price that I can process, store, delivery and make money. That is not £55 a ton that seems to be the going rate delivered when I can import kiln dried crated ready to sell logs for about the same price. I want to buy British timber, OK I only have a small processor so need 300mm or below, I know thats a bit odd, but I have placed orders with three cord suppliers in the last 18 months, all said they are shortly cutting exactly what I need, yet not one stick has turned up. Problem is I need it delivered over the summer as it has to go over 200 yards of grass to get to my stack of cord.

With the pound being so strong why should I invest 30k upgrading my processor set up when I can make more money buying it in. I am not surprised that chip for this plant is being imported, teh cost of timber in the UK is currently to high. There is a port in Teeside so it will be heading there I expect.

A

What's the "about the same price" in Sterling, delivered to your door?

Not totally correct. When we installed our first biomass boiler and converted from oil to wood our fuel cost halved

that's exactly what I'm talking about...

Find a use that makes economic sense... in your case it did makes sense, with a great big power station it has to be subsidized..

I'm in the middle of burning a bunch of woodchip on the rayburn, got it for free so it makes sense to me...

that's exactly what I'm talking about...

Find a use that makes economic sense... in your case it did makes sense, with a great big power station it has to be subsidized..

I'm in the middle of burning a bunch of woodchip on the rayburn, got it for free so it makes sense to me...

Another Rayburn fan here. Cooked our lunch on it, now its busy heating the house.

My wood is also free apart from my time and a little 2 stroke of course.

Anyway power stations, I wonder if it has to be subsidised or do they just take it as its there. Our energy cost from wood is around 1p per kWh That should leave them some margin considering what electricity costs.

I just found this on the net but don't know how to link it

map of uk biomass power stations biofuelswatch

It gives all present , proposed and shut down biomass power stations

Not all or woodchip but will give you an idea of where they are

Is it this one ? http://www.renewables-map.co.uk/biomass.asp

It seems the government has its work cut out if its going to meet the EU target on renewables, we are basically only half way to meeting targets of 2020.

Bob