In praise of natural crotch lowering/rigging.

Mick Dempsey

I see a lot of vids and stuff of lots of pulleys and rings, whoopies, slings and God knows what else. I'll use hardware up the tree and at the base no bother.

But on anything less than epic I'll always go natural crotch, it's so much simpler and quicker. I'll change rigging points many times during a typical dismantle so re setting all the stuff for one or two pieces is a pita.

Sometimes I'm not sure if it's becoming a lost art.

The other thing I think people get obsessed with is "letting it run" it looks good and in a few situations like a spindly top, negative rigging blocks down or a rotten tree I can understand it, but why not just hold it for a couple of moments, let it settle then lower it down?

Don't get me wrong I'm au fait with all of that stuff, I just think it gets over complicated.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see a lot of vids and stuff of lots of pulleys and rings, whoopies, slings and God knows what else. I'll use hardware up the tree and at the base no bother.

But on anything less than epic I'll always go natural crotch, it's so much simpler and quicker. I'll change rigging points many times during a typical dismantle so re setting all the stuff for one or two pieces is a pita.

Sometimes I'm not sure if it's becoming a lost art.

The other thing I think people get obsessed with is "letting it run" it looks good and in a few situations like a spindly top, negative rigging blocks down or a rotten tree I can understand it, but why not just hold it for a couple of moments, let it settle then lower it down?

Don't get me wrong I'm au fait with all of that stuff, I just think it gets over complicated.

I think the main reasoning behind letting it run is that it is much kinder to kit, thus allowing you to reduce the "cycles to failure" aspect of rigging. Orrrrrr it means you can whack much bigger chunks, either works for me:laugh1:

I tend like the groundy to let it run to take the wobble out of the stem and pulleys do have there place in big jobs. However I think your right that kit gets over used and I much prefer the simplicity of a natural crotch.

Slings on the other hand make life far simpler saves tying those hitches and bowlines every time just a big Dan and a sling always attached no messing about.

Rigging can be a pain in the backside so all I try and do is make it as simple as it can be.

Just my thoughts

I kinda get wot your saying,its indemic of our profession i think.

We rely,or are convinced by marketing that we NEED,certain pieces of kit to do our job when 20 years ago guys were doin the same job,to the same level with almost none of the kit that we use today.Maybe some skills are dying out because using kit is just easier-or so were led to believe.

I thought letting it run was in those situations where if you don't the limb can swing about and cause a hazard for the Climber - letting it run in those situations takes it away from the Climber and therefore if situation doesn't call for it then no need?

I use Natural crotch rigging a fair bit. The main decider is if there is any wood/branches that could need lifting... it is a lot easier to lift with a pulley over NC.

If it is a big job then I plan it in my head and use pulleys and friction bollards etc.

As for letting it run... I would say it is common sense to get the piece away from the climber, not to shock load a compromised tree and it is easier on the kit.

The ground workers job is to slow the piece down before it touches the floor as opposed to stopping it.

I think the letting it run is the biggest factor for me. Yes, sometimes you can just lock it off and hold it there, and if needs be then I will instruct the ground staff to do that.

BUT and it is a big BUT, if the groundie doesn't let it run in all situations where possible, would you really want them controlling the friction when you are in a critical situation?

In other words if you cannot do it when it deemed a safe situation, then you certainly aint doing it when I am topping out a dead tree...