New tree surgery business Surrey / south london

Ivo

Fair enough mate. We've shared enough time together, so you know me. You've even slept in my bed (that just sounds wrong).:biggrin:

I did it for years, working 7 days a week, living in caravans or B&b's, chasing every shilling that was out there. yes, it did pay things off early but, it made me Ill, stressed me out to the point that I didn't work for nearly 12 months, not a good place to be!

Work to live, not live to work.

Hi PAUL EGG SPOON MATE 😷😷😷😷😷😷😷😻😻😻sorry eggs 😆😆😆thanks Jon

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have slept in your bed Egg....but not spooned😆😆 but that's another story. Tree work is almost a way of life to some and the lines between work and pleasure are often very blurred.labour of love...i'm off to bed (my own) tommorow is Funky Friday...we get to play with chainsaws and trees...get paid.....then go to the pub where the boss get's the beers in! Goodnight y'all😉

I have slept in your bed Egg....but not spooned😆😆 but that's another story. Tree work is almost a way of life to some and the lines between work and pleasure are often very blurred.labour of love...i'm off to bed (my own) tommorow is Funky Friday...we get to play with chainsaws and trees...get paid.....then go to the pub where the boss get's the beers in! Goodnight y'all😉

Mañana.

Just go for it. If you do a good job and TIDY up you will fill the diary v quickly. Get a website, and advertise in the parish mags which are cheap. I started up on my own in Jan with v little experience and now booked up until end of November. If the job is out your comfort zone get a good subbie in to help you. Good luck👍🏻

Hi,take the plunge and go with it,i took a total change of career 3 yrs ago,i started stump grinding for a local tree surgeon,purchased a new machine,and have been happy pretty much ever since,i now have a bigger van,3 machines of various sizes and dont need to advertise that much to get work,i dont wish to work flat out now 5/6 days a week ,i work enough to keep me happy,if you need a stump grinder in the surrey south london area feel free to contact me on here,we all need to work with each other on here,its a great life

Hi, I am planning on starting a new tree surgery business, I've been qualified for a few months only. I've had my own gardening business for 4 years, wanted a change. With the tree surgery business I've done a few small jobs already and have a few larger ones lined up. It does seem like there is enough quality work out there to make the living that I am after, but my concern is finding enough consistent work 5 days a week as a new business to be able to attract a qualified groundsman.

I was thinking, are there similar people out there with a new tree surgery company in the same boat? If we were in the same area we could work with each other some days and share the profit. Has anyone had similar thoughts?

Cheers, Ivo.

You may do better starting up in Sussex, Stubby was only moaning about the lack of competition the other day http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/general-chat/91769-tree-surgeons-like-confetti.html

Bob

I am in the same boat, I have about a years experience working for a few firms, I have been self employed for about six months but mostly that has been hand cutting for a forestry company(largely dull, repetitive, monotonous graft when you're a chap who's head is in the crown rather than in a strapless helmet stood below but on the plus side I can handle a chainsaw like a boss, so all good experience and that!), got fed up of being screwed around by just about everybody I have encountered in the industry, I am still 150% passionate and determined though so I have taken the plunge and launched my own company(yesterday!), I am going a bit crazy as I want to be out doing instead of inside sat at a computer, but, I have a date in the diary for December for a nice 3 day job to get stuck into, so that's a start.

I do need to track down a subbie climber or two though that I can call on, which might take time as I will not settle for anything but the best, that is of course reflected in what I am willing to pay.

I have had a few mental wobbles, thinking is this a good idea, have I got enough experience and whatnot but at the same time, no-one has put in the work I have over the past year, I have very high standards and I love what I do.

So bottom line, it's time to get excited and my heart is well and truly with anybody else doing the same.

My main job is as a Support Worker , working with people with learning disabilities.

I have been doing the 30,31,38 courses over the last 12 months or so and love working with trees…..(CS 39 looming )

I am aiming just to do a couple or so days a week of tree work.

I work hard and keep things tidy , on the tree side of things, and then recover when I'm back doing the caring work ! ( I am nearly 54 )

Although I have a feeling that I could probably do OK with just tree work and hedges , I think it is good to rest my body and revert back to the mental work……

Change is as good as a rest………

Wish I was 25 years younger !

Thanks for everybody's input and wise words, some really good advice that has been really really helpful. It's good to know there is so much support & answers out there, I'm gonna do my best to uphold all the friendly, helpful & cool vibes there are in this forum and out there in tree world. :thumbup: sounds corny but I don't know how else to say it!