Cooper SST vs Kumho KL71

Charlieh

I am running KL71's on a Discovery 3 and have found the side walls very soft compared to the previously fitted BFG MT as the walls are two ply rather than 3 ply as used in the STT's & BFG's. The car wallows much more and the shoulders of the tyres are wearing faster. D3 is a good bit heavier than a D2 though.

Contrary to a previous post, I find them more noisy than the BFG's. You only have to look at the tread to see why, much more aggressive with big gaps between the cleats.

Good self cleaning & traction in mud but cut through on sand.

To me the KL71's are more mud focused, air down well but are less durable than BFG or Cooper MT tyres. They are directional too so if going for a spare tyre it will only match one side of he car.....

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I run cooper stt's on my well loaded defender, pulling a deadweight ifor williams trailer and sawmill unit . Good off road and well behaved on road even in the wet. I used to chain up with snow chains to get in soft fields before these fitted. Seem to be wearing well too.

I run both my Disco and Defender on BFG MK2 muds and cannot fault them. Great off road, great on road, and have useful tread to about 80k miles.

I did have a set of KL71s on the Defender for a while and they were excellent, but I don't really like unidirectional tyres, and the BFGs are generally marginally better in all respects. They are more expensive though, but do last for an incredibly high mileage.

Had the kl71s on my fourtrak previously very good off road, Exmoor naional park authority also use them and I do rate them off road. One problem is they don't last very long. Currently got Goodyear wrangler duratraks which is kinda AT paternity up the centre with more open tread at the sides. Have really helped me out towing chipper off road.

one quote of more than BFGs for the stt's:001_rolleyes:, one garage saying they have stopped making them and the new ones wont be available in my size for two months:001_rolleyes:, cant get me a price on kl71s but has tyres that come from same factory under another name:001_rolleyes:

bet you cant guess where this is going to end up

After some new tyres for my discovery as I'm getting fed up of getting stuck on wet grass. And getting round the woods in winter is going to be important for me. I'm torn between these tyres and there is little to split them on price. Which is the better tyre in people's experience? I'm keen to keep some decent road manners and improve puncture resistance compared to my current road tyres

Hi mate get some BFG mate there the best thanks Jon 👍

BFG M/Ts ordered ended up getting 225/75 r16s at a respectable £97ex each as just about every other size of tyre that will go in a disco 2 wheel arch are either on a huge back order or not available for ages. These apparently are the factory fitted size on the commercials so I suspect that's why they are easily available!

having lost traction again today on a slope, stalling and rolling backwards down it today at some speed into the brambles, I decided to get some coming forward rather than waiting till Christmas :)

There is also some problem with fitting some off road MT Tyres to disco rims you will need to talk to them about it and tell your insurance company if none standard wheels/ tyres fitted.

I had similar issues with Kumhos fitted to an Isuzu Rodeo. The fronts deformed after less than 20,000 miles. Isuzu told us that they don't recommend fitting them to their trucks. :001_rolleyes:

BFG M/Ts ordered ended up getting 225/75 r16s at a respectable £97ex each as just about every other size of tyre that will go in a disco 2 wheel arch are either on a huge back order or not available for ages. These apparently are the factory fitted size on the commercials so I suspect that's why they are easily available!

having lost traction again today on a slope, stalling and rolling backwards down it today at some speed into the brambles, I decided to get some coming forward rather than waiting till Christmas :)

HI MATE thats cheap mate there great tyres thanks jon :thumbup: