Anyone else dabble in stocks and shares?

daveindales

A friend of mine kicked off with about 10K about fifteen years ago ,his shares have peaked at £130k and troughed at below £80k, I think he is back up at over the £100k again but the hits do hurt. It works for him because its a bit of sport at lunchtime in the office and he has friends that steer him in the right direction ( most of the time) :001_smile:

Bob

I think thats the key having people in the know you can trust to lead you in the right direction, plus keeping up with whats going on with world affairs.

My friends took some big hits but only risked what he could afford to loose

Im going to have a stab at the real thing at the end of October.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think focusing on one or two companies is a good strategy. Knowing them inside out can help you make money when their share price goes up or down. However, it takes a lot of work to beat a decent fund manager. Recently I opened a Hargreaves Lansdowne account online and invested in Fundsmith and also a fund run by Neil Woodford. Both have impressive track records and seem to be a good steady bet..... fingers crossed.

I made a few quid in the '90's.

It seemed then that any shares made money.

Built a conservatory out of profit on Man. U shares (it hurt to buy them!).

I thought buying shares was like backing a horse that never stopped running till it won.

Buy a grands worth.

One day they'll be worth more than a grand, right? Don't sell them until they are.

Oh dear, what a naive Northumbrian lad I am.

It doesn't work like that.

I did alright, but I was lucky.

It's a bit gutting to receive a cheque for £40 for shares that were once valued at £2k, and you have no say in the matter.

For me it's all about maintaining a mix. I've only ever put about £1500 tops into a single company, plus try to keep a range of companies - so some miners, oil company, supermarkets, banks etc. I'd like to be able to invest in a buy to let property as well, but for the moment am looking to keep chipping away at the mortgage on the place we actually live in.

The falls in share prices do hurt, but I've only ever put money into shares when I've had a bit spare, so I look at it as being something that's a nice to have rather than I'm relying on paying off.

I'll offer some good advice on shares...

get your money on oil stocks when the price of oil is low, it can't go much lower than it is now so maybe it might (be careful) be a good time to invest if your into that sort of thing..

Can't say I'm interested myself, unless you can manipulate the markets, you're basically at the mercy of those that can, and do... good luck betting on those terms...

Hi

Made a bit in the 80s & 90s but its a bit too volatile now

I used to do penny shares, buy on what I considered the market was going to do well on & sell at a modest profit.

I agree with Vespian - or any stock you consider well priced, but dont bet what you cant afford to lose.

I'll offer some good advice on shares...

Get your money on oil stocks when the price of oil is low, it can't go much lower than it is now so maybe it might (be careful) be a good time to invest if your into that sort of thing..

Can't say I'm interested myself, unless you can manipulate the markets, you're basically at the mercy of those that can, and do... good luck betting on those terms...

N

Edited by NFG

I agree with Eggs, it's one step up from gambling.

I'd do it again, like, it's quite exciting, but as others have said, only with money I'm prepared to lose.

Insider trading is still illegal.

Do those rich city boys really not tip their mates the wink over a cheeky Prosecco in a wine bar?

I agree with Eggs, it's one step up from gambling.

I'd do it again, like, it's quite exciting, but as others have said, only with money I'm prepared to lose.

Insider trading is still illegal.

Do those rich city boys really not tip their mates the wink over a cheeky Prosecco in a wine bar?

Agreed, but think you'll find vintage Krug, Veuve Clicquot or Laurent Perrier more like it!

N