Wellies for farm and forest

Oldstyle

I'm a farmer doing things the old way none if that posh gps stuff or tractor cabs with doors. I'm needing new wellies for the winter months Dunlop's fall to bits as do muck boots so I'm looking at the chainsaw wellies as I do a lot of hedging coppicing and felling through winter months. What are the best ones to get? If been reading on here and else where that wellies are the devils work and all of that but when your ankle deep in cow s**t or wading through ditches to coppice that awkward willow that just doesn't want to do what you want it to wellies are a must.

Looking at the Huskys, Sthil and the Englebert Strauss ones which are the best ones to get for comfort and durability?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As with all foot ware - try before you buy!

I had Husqvarna branded wellies, they were too big for me, and extremely heavy, but metal soleplate, caps and I think metal up the front as well, plus kevlar, and excellent grip. They did spring a leak eventually.

Others I know say the chainsaw wellies are the most comfortable wellies they ever had.

We do a fair bit of wetland stuff, and everyone I know has the Hunter Forester 3000 including myself.

The comment not everyday wear is probably the best bit of advice I could give as well, as they are simply heavy!

I would think Firefighter type wellies would be pretty good quality, but never really researched if they do chainsaw rated ones?

Eddie.

I use chainsaw wellies - my use is milling so I tend to walk out to a tree with a load of heavy gear and then not move much, which is why I use wellies and chaps.

I had a pair of Stihl wellies bought in about 1998 which lasted around 15yrs of fairly regular use, being comfortable enough for everyday. That said, my other footwear at the time was steel toecapped boots so I was pretty used to it. When they eventually cracked around the toe I bought a pair of the current model which were a lot more rigid and hence far less comfortable. I use them but do look forward to taking them off again.

Alec

All wellies seem to be cold heavy and stiff except for the muck boots but they have split within 6 months use.

I wear leather work boots in the summer months as I don't use the saws then anyway.

I tend to live in wellies all winter as the yards are muddy and wet with deep puddles also we live on heavy clay soil so it gets pretty sticky.

The hunter 3000s look interesting have to see if I can find a stockest to try them. I've got a stihl dealer a couple of miles away but I'm struggling to find anywhere that actually stocks the husky boots in a shop.

Ive had the older style thermo Dunlop's before fantastic boots but I can't drive my tractors in them just not enough room on a 1976 David brown for big boots.